Chapter 21: Reborn

When Roman arrived home, he told his mom and sister what Dr. Pryce had told him. It was silent they didn't know what to say about this information.

"I'll be going to my room", Olivia mumbled. A tear fell on Shelley's face. She wanted to be hopeful about her sister but there was this small doubt nagging her. Roman on the other hand was very hopeful and was determined to be by Catalina's side until she woke up. Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. Catalina was still in the same condition. Roman was hopeful but it slowly declined. He turned to drink and drugs to cope with this depressing situation.

"I don't know how long I can do this", he mumbled to the sleeping girl. "I miss you so fucking much." A tear slid down. "Mom doesn't give a shit... it's like you never existed to her. I overheard she wanted to pull the plug but I'm not gonna let her go near you. I'll fucking protect you if I have to. I'll fucking fight for you. To be honest I was slowly losing hope but when I heard that shit, my hope just skyrocketed. I'm so sorry for ever losing hope in you Catalina." He kissed her lips gently. He was silently sobbing. He didn't notice her heart rate began to drop. When he finally realized, he panicked. He pressed a button to notify someone. Dr. Pryce came rushing in.

"Roman, I want you to go home now!"

"No, I want to stay with her!"

"You can't be here! She needs medical attention right now! The more we speak the more we waste time! Please go!" Roman got the memo and immediately left. He rushed back home.

"Mom!"

"Roman darling why are you screaming?"

"Catalina- she's not doing well!"

"Darling calm down, everything will be fine."

"How can you say that! She's fucking dying!"

"Because I believe Dr. Pryce can help her."Roman was angry at his mom for not worrying or acting like a mom as she was supposed to. She acted like everything was fucking ok! Like if her daughter wasn't on the brink of death! Roman went to his room and slammed the door. Now he was back waiting again for news on Catalina's well-being. He began drinking as well as preparing a tray to snort cocaine. (Trigger warning: cutting) Once the coke was in his system he had the sudden urge to cut himself. He took off his shirt, grabbed a razor, and cut an X on his chest where his heart was located. Roman began to bleed a lot. He wiped off some blood with his index finger and licked it off. The taste of iron danced around his tongue. It tasted so good for being blood. His thick red blood oozed down to his crotch.

"Shit" he whispered. He went to the bathroom and got in the tub. With the drug still on his system, it was hard for him to relax. Coke was the worst drug to take. He felt his anxiety worsen and the stress skyrocketing. Roman was on the brink of tears. The water from the tub was slowly turning red. The longer he stayed in the tub the redder it became. Back downstairs, Olivia was in the living was having a drink and smoking a cigarette. Her phone ranged with Dr. Pryce's name on the scream. He got straight to the point.

"We couldn't save her."

"Oh...well you did you're best."Dr.Pryce knew what was coming for Catalina he was the only one that knew about Olivia's secret being an upir. He also knew how they turned. He didn't want Catalina to be one. "I'll let the kids know."She hung up and the first person she went to was Roman. By the time she entered his room, he was already bandaged up and wore a black t-shirt to cover the injury.

"I don't know how to put this...Catalina passed away." That was his last straw. He broke down crying. I know darling let it out, she wrapped her arms around him and Roman embraced back. They were like this for a while.

Darling, I must go and tell Shelley. He nodded his head while wiping his eyes. Olivia gently closed the door and headed to Shelley's room. Shelley sobbed but asked for privacy. Olivia left her alone to grieve the death of her beloved sister. When Roman stopped crying he called Peter to tell him the news. Peter was shocked and saddened. He knew about her being in a coma and he sometimes visited her.

"Does Letha know?"

"Uh, no but I think my mom is gonna tell her and the family. Please don't tell anyone at school. I just don't want that kind of attention."

"Got it." Back at the white tower. Dr. Pryce was waiting for Catalina to wake up. A nurse came in with a bed and bag ready to put Catalina in.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Just taking away the body Doctor."

"Put it away we don't need it!" He responded aggressively. 

"But-"

"I said we don't need it!" She left quickly with the bed and bag. He kept checking for vitals until he felt a pulse. He looked at the heart rate monitor and it wasn't flatlined anymore. Her heart rate was picking up.

"Remarkable", he whispered to himself. Catalina opened her eyes as she took her first breath.