Chapter 22: Death Wish

Roman went spiraling down after he heard the news of Catalina. It had been two months since she passed. He binge drinks and takes any drugs that'll make him forget about her. His 18 birthday was near, he didn't want to celebrate but Olivia insisted on celebrating.

"Roman darling I have to be in a meeting but I'll be back to talk about how you want to celebrate your birthday." She smiled at him.

"Alright." He simply responded. Back at the white tower, Dr.Pryce was checking up on Catalina.

"How are you feeling Ms.Godfrey?"

"Hungry."

Two months ago

"Dr. Pryce? How- what- I died-"

"Yes, I know but you're fine now ok." Tears were flooding her cheeks. "I'll explain everything to you." When Pryce explained everything to her, Catalina stopped crying instead she had a shocked expression.

"I'm a what now?"

"An upir. It's a species of vampire that can walk under the sun like a normal human. There are different species of vampires but I won't go too deep about that."

"Does Roman know?"

"I don't believe so."

"Does...he know I'm alive." She spoke softly this time. He was silent. Catalina knew what that meant which sadden her.

"Do you feel hungry?" Pryce changed the subject.

"Yes actually."

"Come on. I have to show you something. They walked towards a normal-looking closet."

"Ladies first."

"Ok?" She seemed confuse.

He dialed a passcode which lead them to a different room.

"Keep walking Ms.Godfrey." They were both in front of a steel door. He opened the door. It was a yellow room with just a metal container. She got a closer look at the metal container. She saw body parts floating around; she almost gagged.

"You'll get use to it. This is what your mother drinks to keep herself alive. You don't have to feed on humans. This is a safer way to get blood." He grabbed a cup and poured some. "Here", he said as he handed her the cup. Catalina was a bit hesitant but still drank the blood. It wasn't bad but wasn't good either.

"How do you feel."

"Still hungry."

Present-day

"When can I leave Dr. Pryce."

"Until you can control your hunger or at least when your mother says it's ok." They heard a knock and came in Olivia.

"Hello darling."

"Hello mother." Catalina didn't look at her.

"What's wrong?"

"I just wished you told me what I was."

"I better get going", mumbled Pryce. He closed the door as he left.

"I'm sorry Catalina I know I should've come clean about everything but I didn't know how to tell you. Believe me, I tried approaching you about your adoption, and I thought it would be good if you found out you were an upir for yourself."

"You should have at least tried telling me I was an upir."

"Would you have believed me if I told you you were not human?" Catalina was silent.

"I guess you're right", she mumbled.

"But I apologize for not telling you that you were adopted." Olivia kissed her daughter's forehead and hugged her. Catalina hugged back and forgave her. "I still see you as my own darling." Olivia muttered while embracing Catalina.

"Mother, will I be able to make it to Roman's birthday?"

"Oh, darling you have to stay here and make sure you control your hunger. I don't think you're ready. I'm sorry." Olivia was still hugging her.

"It's fine", Catalina sounded sad. "Do Roman and Shelley know I'm alive?"

"Of course darling the minute you woke up I told them. Well, I'll be going now. I have a meeting to attend. See you later darling." She closed the door. After her tedious meeting, she bought a beautiful birthday cake and went back home. While in the kitchen, Olivia sliced a cake and placed a candle. She assumed her son was in his bedroom so she headed upstairs. Roman was drinking and popped half of Xanax. Olivia knocked on the door.

"Come in."

"I thought we could celebrate your birthday a little bit earlier." She entered with the slice of cake.

"I'm not hungry for cake." She slightly nodded and place the cake on his night table.

"What's wrong Roman?"

"Everything. You don't even care that Catalina is gone!" Roman shouted.

"Of course, I do! I grieve differently that's all!"

"Bullshit! Not once have I seen you cry or at least been sad."

"Because I do it privately."

"You're a fucking liar!"

"How dare you speak to me that way I am your mother!"

"You sure as hell don't act like one!" Olivia slapped him. They were both in shock.

"Roman!" he ignored her as he left the room. "Roman, I'm sorry!" She said as she chased him.

"When I'm 18 I'm taking over the damn company!" He yelled before slamming the door behind him. He started his car and drove he didn't know where he was going but he kept driving. He pulled out a flask in his drawer and started drinking while speeding. The effects of the Xanax started kicking in. I wish I was dead, he thought. Roman felt his eyes getting heavy. A deer was crossing the road. Roman had noticed the animal and stomped on the breaks causing his car to swerve and flip over. The car flipped to the woods. Romans's head hit the wheel making him break his nose. His head bounced back hitting hard on the seat. Roman's neck snapped killing him instantly. A tree stopped the car while smashing the front window. The glass cut Roman's dead body and flew all over in the car. It was the most horrendous sight to witness.