31

Jay POV

I keep checking the time to ensure I don't miss her birthday. It's only eleven now, so I'm good on time.

"So, are we just going to chill here, or are we going to hook up." The girl says to me as I put my phone away.

"I just don't know what to do." I ignored her and leaned against the brick wall we went away to. I have no intentions of hooking up with this girl. I just needed to get out of there. It was too much with Daniel's venting and Alex's flirty eyes at the blonde.

"About what?" the girl questions me.

"I just wish things were different; It's a long story." I let out a heavy sigh. I am not about to vent to this girl.

She leans against the wall. "I feel that I and my ex of 4 years just split up." She says, giving up the flirty persona she had going on, which for some reason relieves me.

"I mean, maybe it was a good thing you guys broke up; sometimes it's just not meant to be," I say, mainly relating to the situation with Alex and Daniel. They were together for the same amount of time, although Daniel wants her back; maybe it was just not meant to be.

"Yeah, but that kind of love just doesn't go away, though." She looks down at her sleeve and smiles, "We know everything about each other. All that time spent cant be replaced. Ever."

"I'm thinking we need a break to realize how much we love each other. There were just temptations that distracted us and made us think we wanted something different. But the more we are apart, the more I realize the grass isn't greener on the other side."

Is that what Alex and Daniel needed? Just a break, was I just a temptation that made her think she wanted something different?

"The grass is green where you water it." She smiles sadly at me.

+++

Alexandra POV

"Well, it's almost my birthday," I tell the guy who I learned the name was Chris. He goes to FSU and is visiting his dad for the weekend.

"Oh no way, that's awesome; cheers!" He clinks his beer with mine, and I smile. I'm feeling jittery from the alcohol, and my anxiety has vanished. We played a few games of beer pong, and now we are just sitting by the fire. Daniel has been at the bar all night talking to the bartender, which makes me feel a little sad, but I told them I wanted to have fun, and that's what I'm doing. I have no idea where Jay is. Probably with his friends he met earlier, as he said.

"Do you wanna dance?" He asks me. He's been kind this whole time. No weird flirty thing like Kai did that one night. Just casual and relaxed. He was making me feel comfortable.

"I'm not the best dancer," I admit. I have two left feet; I am terrible, I should've said.

"Come on; I will lead." The music is upbeat as he grabs my hand. I laugh, and the alcohol makes me reluctantly agree to dance.

We laugh and dance to a few songs, then the music starts to slow, and we comfortably get into an embrace that is friendly and sweet, and he slowly leads.

"So what's a pretty girl like you doing out here by yourself on your birthday?" He says, his blue eyes looking into mine. He doesn't sound creepy at all, just curious.

"I could say the same to you, I mean like handsome, not like a pretty girl, I mean-

"I get it." He laughs, chuckling.

"I just broke up with my long-term boyfriend." He looks at me, trying to study my face.

"Oh." Boyfriend? The friendly vibe he was giving makes sense, but I was not expecting that. "What happens?"