1

+++

"Daniel, it's been a few weeks." I lean in for a kiss, feeling like I haven't seen my man in forever.

He turns his head before our lips meet, saying, "Babe, as tempting as it is... you've got those red lipstick vibes, and it won't look professional if I'm rocking the same look." Instead, he pulls me into a tight hug, and I inhale his familiar scent.

Daniel, in a sleek suit with slicked-back brown hair, looks tan as ever. After spending weeks in California with family, the party hosted by his parents welcomes back his father, Mayor Andrew, and marks the start of a new school year. The town's elite crowd is in attendance.

The party is okay, as usual—modest and more for the adults to showcase their kids and wealth. I don't complain; it's a chance to dress up, and I go along when my parents drag me here.

"Good evening, everyone. Please take a seat at your assigned table as Mayor Andrew will be making a speech shortly. Thank you." Mrs. Woods announces through the microphone, and everyone heads to their tables. Daniel grabs my hand, and I follow. He pulls out my chair, and I give him a thankful grin, making sure my dress doesn't get caught.

Miyra Evans is seated next to me. I haven't seen her all summer. While I don't have a best friend, she'd come close if I did—someone I could talk to.

"I'm going to get myself some water; do you want anything?" Daniel asks. A glass of wine would be great, but I know Daniel isn't a fan, so I shake my head as he walks away. Miyra takes a seat just as he leaves. She's stunning, with long, curled blond hair, wearing a pink dress that complements her tan and rosy cheeks.

"Long time no see, I have some tea." She greets me with a silly rhyme, and I laugh.

"Tea? When don't you have tea? What's it this time?" I smirk at her. Her voice lowers.

"Jay Woods is coming back to town." Her smile widens, and so do my eyes.

"How do you know?" I whisper back.

"I was in the car when I heard my dad on the phone, something like 'this town doesn't need another Woods right now,' implying that Jay is coming back."

"I haven't seen him since I was a sophomore, just before they sent him away to that college in Italy." Jay Woods was trouble the last time I checked—skipping class, smoking in bathrooms, and having different girls over whenever I visited Daniel. He'd get drunk and make promises to these naive girls.

Before Miyra could respond, Daniel returns with his water and sits down.

"I would like to thank everyone here tonight. I'm glad to be back home in the city of Camden." Everyone applauds for Mayor Andrew. "The school year is beginning soon, and the new library in Westwood High's private school has been renovated. That's an amazing start to the year. I—"

The doors to the front entrance push open, and all eyes turn to the back.

It's him. Jay Woods. On his arm is a long-legged redhead model, and he confidently walks to the table where Daniel, Miyra, and I are sitting. Everyone's eyes widen, and Jay's unexpected return has the whole room in awe.

Mayor Andrew looks furious but manages to hide it, quickly recovering. "Everyone give a warm welcome to my firstborn, Jacob Woods, or some may know him as Jay."

Jay takes a seat next to Daniel. I look at my boyfriend, and he looks shocked. Did he not know Jay was coming home?

Jay looks different. He's more muscular, his hair is thicker and darker, and he has a tattoo on his hand and forearm. He has always been a character to look at, but now...