3

Friday marked the close of the first week of senior year, and it breezed by effortlessly. With only two classes, navigating school had become a walk in the park.

I found myself at Daniel's, engrossed in my sociology homework sprawled across his bed. Daniel, in his school-weary state, reclined on his desk chair, seemingly lost in his phone.

"Remember when you were here on Monday?" Daniel's unexpected question snapped my attention away from my books.

"Yeah, why?" I looked up, meeting his penetrating gaze, as if he sought something unspoken.

"What happened to my brother's face?"

"Daniel, I genuinely don't know. I walked in, and his face was bloody. I was just trying to help." I paused, halting myself before I rambled on.

"You got so skinny," he commented abruptly, his eyes scanning me from top to bottom. Not the response I anticipated.

"Yeah," I replied, glancing back down at my sociology work. Finally, I felt like I belonged, matching the slim figures of my friends, Miyra and Megan.

Daniel rose, pushing my books aside, and kissed me. His hands on my waist, he guided me down onto the bed, continuing the embrace.

His touch, cold hands, and cherry-tasting lips—tempting, yet my mind lingered on the pending homework.

Before things could escalate, a knock interrupted us.

"Yes!" Daniel called out, still hovering over me.

"Get ready, there's a party at the town hall," his mom informed us.

However, this wasn't your typical party. It was a mundane affair—dress to impress, long speeches, and an audience mostly comprised of older individuals.

"Well, I'll see you there," Daniel told me as he got up and started rummaging through his closet.

+++

Returning home, I faced my mother's scolding for being home an hour late. After scrutinizing my wardrobe, I settled on a black dress—long-sleeved yet short, accentuating my curves. I felt hot.

Completing my look with a deep red lip and red velvet heels, my father praised me as his princess.

"Dad, I'm almost eighteen," I laughed as we all got into the car.

"That doesn't mean anything. Anyways, how's Jay doing?"

My mind flashed back to when I discovered Jay's bloody face. If I tell my parents, they might confront his, sparking unnecessary conflicts. "Fine, I think," I nonchalantly replied.

Arriving at the venue, already filled with many 'important' families, I scanned for Daniel, but he was nowhere in sight.

Approaching the drinks, a server handed me a water bottle. "Thank you," I said as I grabbed one.

"Baby Alex."

Turning around, I saw Jay. His smile accompanied by a well-dressed appearance—slicked-back dark hair, a dark red suit, and a black bowtie that complemented his ensemble. My mouth watered at the sight.

"You know I hate that," I muttered.

Ignoring my protest, he continued, "You haven't told anyone about my... incident."

"No, Jacob," I replied. "Daniel knows, though."

"I handled that," he muttered more to himself.

"What are you up to?" I squinted at him.

"Have a drink with me?" he asked.

Looking around and finding no sign of Daniel, doubt crept in. "Daniel would be pissed," I said, glancing down.

"C'mon, he wouldn't care. You're with me."

"No, Jay, I can't," I walked away, taking my usual seat at these functions. I couldn't just go and drink with Daniel's brother. Daniel despises it when I drink, and I didn't want to argue with him.

I sat there for another thirty minutes, still no sign of Daniel. Miyra approached me a few times, questioning if I was okay. I assured her I was fine—these events were just boring.

"Hey, you," I heard Daniel's familiar voice, looking up to find him.

He sat next to me, lounging in his chair.

"Where have you been?" I asked curiously.

"Taking care of some family matters." I leaned in to kiss him on the cheek, but he pulled away.

"Lipstick, babe."

Oh, right...

I hugged him instead, the overwhelming scent of perfume invading my nostrils.

"Were you with..." I pushed him away to arm's length and looked into his eyes.

"What, no," he replied, diving his fork into his salad and stuffing it into his mouth.

"Daniel, don't lie—"

"Alexandra? Why are you trying to argue?" he said, putting his fork down. "You've been so... moody? Stop being insecure."

His crude words sent my blood boiling.

"I need some air." I got up and headed towards the door. Turning around, I saw he wasn't going to stop me, fueling my anger.

Last year, Daniel cheated on me with Darthy Hanson, one of the most popular and richest girls in school. Taking him back after he apologized every day was a choice I made because, well, I love him.

I opened the doors, feeling the chilly air hit my legs.

"Ugh!" I yelled out. What a jerk. He has to be cheating on me again.

"Alex?"

I turned to my left to see Jay sitting on the steps with a flask in hand.

"Jay, I didn't know you were out here."

"What happened?" he asked. I didn't want to tell him; it might lead him to ask Daniel about it, and I didn't want any more problems.

"My parents—pass me that flask," I said, walking towards him and plopping down next to him.