11

"I know this may be a wild question, but are you nervous?" Sonni asked Zai as she stood in front of him, tying his tie

He looked at her and had an unreadable expression on his face. "Honestly, I don't even know what I'm feeling right now. A month ago, I was serving life without parole in maximum security, and now I'm about to go up in front of the same system that locked me away."

Sonni let out a small giggle at his rambling. "Baby, it's okay if you're nervous. Believe it or not, today is going to be a good day. You're going to walk away from this with your life back. I wish I could say that everything is going to return to normalcy, but that is not going to happen. Things are about to change drastically, and I'm going to be right by your side on your arm."

Xavier smirked. "I honestly don't know what I'll do without you. I know I keep thanking you, but thank you again, mama. I'll be showing my appreciation and gratitude soon, in more ways than one."

He sucked at her bottom lip, kissing her.

It's been exactly a month since Xavier was released on bond, putting us in the month of January. Before the long, ongoing trial, he was able to enjoy his birthday and Christmas with his loved ones. Today was the first court appearance, and everyone is hoping that'll be the only one.

Javier has been in police custody since the warrant for his arrest was issued. After the DA issued the warrant for his blood, they immediately compared it to the sample they took from the two scenes. It came back to a match, and he was instantly arrested. And that was a more probable reason to reopen the case.

"Noonie!" Savion shouted from a part of the penthouse suite that they were staying in downtown Newark.

"Yes, bubba?" Sonni looked up as she was fixing the gold X cuff-links on Zai's shirt.

"Emani keeps calling me and I don't know what to say. Don't know why you won't let me put her ass in the river. Send that hoe down stream and make her swim." Sav frowned and placed his hands above his head like he was about to dive into water and plopped down on the couch.

Xavier tried to hold his laughter in but failed miserably.

Emani and our beloved Sonshine are no longer friends because Sonni found that she had told the press about Zai's case, along with initiating the attack by Anderson because she had been sleeping with him. Emani doesn't know that Sonni knows everything because she insisted on waiting until the trial was over to pay her a much needed visit with an ass whooping as her plus one.

Sonni rolled her eyes. "She's weird, man. She's only acting like this because I'm committed to Xavier and not to her. It's crazy, though, because before Deion and Xavier, I tried to form a serious relationship with her because, you know, I like structure, I like foundation and stability. She didn't want that, so we fooled around until I got with Deion. I broke up with him and we started fooling around again, but I noticed she was still being childlike, and I didn't have time for that. So I stopped the fooling around completely. I'm about to turn 26 in a couple of weeks. I'm not about to keep playing cat and mouse when I know exactly what I want. It's dumb, pointless, and a waste of my precious time."