22

"Ma, can I ask you a question? It's about my paper

"Ma, can I ask you a question? It's about my paper." Jayden asked me as he sat at the island with his Macbook in front of him, which was covered by a lime green hard shell case.

I nodded my head as I continued seasoning the thick cut pork chops for tonight's dinner. We were supposed to go to Momo's and Paw's house, but they had to take an emergency business trip. It's been a minute since I've been in the kitchen anyway, so I said why not.

"Being that my biological mother was never married or anything, can you explain to me how submission works? Like, do you submit to Pops and let him control you or is it a two-way street?"

"Ooo! This finna be good! Hollon and let me finish this equation real quick." I laughed as Aniyah quickly solved her problem before putting her attention back on us.

I looked at Xavier, who had his AirPods in as he was engrossed in his MacBook as well with a sleeping Em in his lap. As you can see Sunday is our homework day, but I looked at him again before looking back at Jayden, who was cleaning his clear Ray Ban frames. "What class is this for?"

"Ideology."

I washed my hands and pushed the bowl of seasoned pork chops to the side. I started cleaning up my mess before starting on the stuffing mixture as I got my thoughts together. "Submission doesn't necessarily mean your spouse has total control over you. If a woman has a good man, submission is going to come naturally. She's going to be submitting without even realizing she's submitting because that's what happened to me. Technically, I'm not even supposed to be submitting to Xavier, but I do it anyway because he's the type of man that leads, a good man."

"When you say you're not supposed to be submitting to him, what do you mean?" Jayden asked as he made notes in his notebook.

"We're not married yet. Biblically, a woman is only supposed to submit to one man and one man only, her husband." I leaned up against the counter, folding my arms across my chest and watching Jayden, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"So if submission isn't control, then what is it? When you submit, what exactly are you doing?"

I bit my bottom lip out of habit before speaking. "Submitting to a man is simply allowing him to be heard. It's allowing him to voice his opinions, letting him take the lead, and letting him be a man. When submitting to a man, you're not being put on a leash, you're not becoming a dog or a doormat. No shade to women, but I don't understand how certain women want men to be providers but won't submit? They want the man to do this and do that. They want the man to wait on them hand and foot, but won't do the same in return? A relationship, a marriage is not a one-way street, it's a two-way and both parties should give 100% and not just 50."

"Wait a minute now! Let me write that down." I laughed at Niyah as she nodded her head as if it was replaying in her head.

"Can you give me an example of you submitting to Pops?"