20

"Come on, Emerie! Tell Dada bye

"Come on, Emerie! Tell Dada bye." I called out to her as I stood at our front door. She called Zai "Dada" once, and it stuck. He was technically her father anyway because he had been raising her since she was a newborn and because her supposedly biological father, Anderson, got killed in a riot at the prison, which he deserved. My heart goes out to my little munchkin though, but it's okay though because Zai and I got her forever.

I pushed the strap of her diaper bookbag up on my shoulder as I watched her kiss Xavier's cheek, who was squatted in front of her. My heart swelled at the sight. I loved it when they interacted. I just might give him another one after the wedding.

"Ma!" She ran my way the best way she could, and I scooped her up, holstering her on my hip. I still get butterflies in my stomach when she calls me Ma.

"Baby, we're still meeting you at Momo's house, right?" I asked as he made his way toward me. He kissed my cheek, nodding his head.

"Yes, you sure you don't want me to take her? Because what you're about to do isn't easy."

I looked at him and shook my head. "I got her baby, but thank you. We'll see you in a few hours. Tell Jayden to clean his room before y'all leave." I gave him a quick kiss before heading out the door.

I hit the locks to my Porsche. I was so in love with my truck that it was ridiculous. My seats were black with yellow stitching, and my name was stitched into the seats and headrests. The interior was literally black and yellow, along with my custom yellow and black Fogiato Montare ECL rims. My baby definitely outdid himself.

I pulled the backdoor open and placed miss thang into her car seat. I buckled her in and tickled her stomach, making her giggle.

"Muwah!" She kissed me, and I couldn't do anything but smile. I see so much of Emani in her it's crazy.

I placed the bookbag on the floorboard and pulled her iPad out, going to ABC Mouse before passing it to her. I made sure the child lock was on before climbing into the front seat. I took my Vintage Check Note Burberry Crossbody off me and made sure I had my badge and gun before pulling the seatbelt across me—buckling it before pushing the start button. I drove around the fountain, down the long driveway, and opened the big steel gate that had a huge W in the middle before pulling out.

Being that we live in Cedar Grove now, my drive to Newark is cut in half. It was only going to take me thirty minutes to make it to my destination. I needed to call Savion to see if he was there or at least on the way, but I said never mind because I was almost there. I looked in my rearview mirror at Emerie and she was engrossed in whatever learning activity she was doing. My baby was very smart to only be 1. Instead of doing the baby talk, we actually talked to her in full sentences. We wanted her ready before she started school.

Exactly thirty minutes later, I was pulling up to Oak Hill cemetery. I stopped at the arch and took a deep breath before driving all the way through. I spotted Savion's Range Rover and pulled up behind it, killing the engine. I threw my seatbelt off, clipped my gun to my side, and secured my badge. I still can't believe I work for the FBI. Sometimes everything just seems unreal.