Chapter 3: All downhill

Sarv was crying alone, Ruv had been called into night shift to help aid the U.S effort in Vietnam. The factories were working day and night, Ruv would sleep all day and work all night, and had little time to interact with his family. Sarv had been having a hard time sleeping without Ruv, he had always been gentle and caring towards her, usually he would have wrapped an arm around her to help her stay warm. She had recently gotten less tolerant to the cold which was a strange development, she had usually found herself shivering to the smallest chill, but right now all she did was cry into a pillow trying to drown out the cries so Ras wouldn't hear.

Ras tried to sleep, although it was a Friday night she still went to sleep at a good time unlike her brother. She had thought about how her brother stayed up late and it only made it harder, swelling up a pain in her chest causing her throat to sore, it wasn't physical however. She tries to hold back tears, trying to hold on to the hope that her brother may still be alive. She couldn't hold the tears, and began to cry. It was to her a release from it all, it felt great to just cry. The sun had started to rise and her pillow was stained with teardrop, she had cried to sleep and was still asleep.

Sarv cried all night long, the cold was getting her so she swaddled into the blanket, eventually she had to get up,  and she did changing out of her sleeping outfit and into a normal everyday outfit, she was frowning and moving towards the laundry room, Ruv came in the house bags under his eyes, "Hey honey... welcome home..." Sarv said weakly, Ruv's eyes looked in concern, "Sarv? Are you ok?" Sarv looks over, her eyes were saddened, "Yeah... just great..." Ruv felt guilty he decided he would try to stay up a little while, "Come on Sarv, forget the chores for this morning... let's snuggle on the couch... you seem like you need it." His accent has lightened his voice was calming, Sarv nodded and they sat on the couch. Sarv clinged to him, it reminded Ruv of when she used to squeeze his arm during her emotional times when she was pregnant. Sarv had calmed down and finally slept, Ruv fell asleep with her and they were now wrapped around each other asleep.

Ras awakens at noon, she pulled herself up, and headed to the kitchen to make herself food, she saw her parents asleep together on the couch and she smiled, but she went to the door which had a letter through the slit. She made food for herself and her parents before opening the letter. The letter was from her brother, she took the meter out and read, "Dear Rasazy, mama, and papa <:< My first mission was scary, I'll never forget it. Whenever we were driving, a pregnant woman stepped onto the road, we stopped to help her, but that was a mistake. When we did the enemy fired at us from the trees, a friend I had made had died in that. Bigger news... I have killed. I have taken somebody's life, it wasn't easy and I think I know how dad felt. I'm sorry for mocking him, I'll write again as soon as I can. Just remember I love you... good luck... from Selever." The letter dropped Ras's spirits, Sarv and Ruv still slept, she set the letter on the coffee table in front of them to read when they woke up, it was a relief that Selever was alive, but what did it cost him?