Chapter 4: The Flag of Dread

Sarv was up at night doing chores, strange at most but she wanted to get used to Ruv's schedule. Ras was asleep, it had been a few days since that last letter. It was now Wednesday, the sun began to Rise, and Ruv came home really tired. Sarv hugged him and kissed his cheek. Ras was ready for school walking out the door after Sarv prepared lunch for her, once she had left Sarv went and joined Ruv in bed.

Ras wandered the halls into her classroom, the halls were patterned randomly with red and orange with some white tiles, they were narrow with two doors on each side that had signs hanging on the side of the door, brail visible on the bottom from reflection. She had entered the classroom, it was coated in posters and a blue green earth, it had a chalkboard in the front with several faded white chalk stains. She took a seat in her normal desk the rest of the class came in and sat, BF whispered, "Have you been ok recently? You seem to have been more emotional than usual" Ras ignored and attempted to stay focused at the front as the teacher started her lesson. To no avail she lays her head down on the desk attempting to blank out the thoughts of her brother, the good news was Ruv had been reassigned the day shift, but he needed to get used to the daytime. Tomorrow they were given a day off, and that is when she knew that something would arrive. Somebody stepped over her eyes burned into the back of her head and she lifted her head looking up. The teacher was staring down, she didn't look so impressed, Ras looked up scared, but to her surprise the teacher's expression changed, "Something is bothering you." It wasn't a question, "The war maybe?" Ras hesitantly nodded, "Don't worry... my son is fighting in it too. I feel just about the same as you do." BF looked over, "I couldn't say the same, but GF has some family assisting the effort too." Ras finally braved up for her reason, "My brother is fighting, frontlines..." the teacher sighed, "I hope for his safety... you can call me Mrs. Wilson. I am your new geography teacher after the last one retired a week ago. Today's lesson plan going to be Europe." Ras knew that this class was probably gonna be her best.

The next day after Ruv came home after work, Sarv and Ras were doing some chores together, Sarv was wearing a headband that kept her hair looking short, a light blue dress with a white underlining, and some white stockings held up by two white cross straps. Ras wore a dark blue skirt with pants, smaller white socks with some black loafers, and a grey T-shirt with darker patterns at the sleeves.

Ruv had noticed, and decided to help them after he changed into some normal wear. He decided on, some blue jeans, and a black T-shirt. He had thought of just how strange it was that women had to wear so much stuff, and sometimes they chose to wear even more. The time was a strange time, but this was something he never really questioned, Sarv usually wore a pink sweater she had knitted herself way before WW2, but sometimes she wore things that were expected of her at the time. He cleared his thoughts and went to help them with the laundry, he walked in and started to grab some of the dirty clothes dipping them into the warm soapy water, Sarv noticed him helping and greeted, "Welcome home honey! How was work?" Ruv spoke as he continued to focus on laundry, "It was good. I didn't have much of a problem operating the machinery, and the foreman was not as pushy as he was before." Ras smiled, "Papa! I found a class I like!" Ruv looked up, "Really?" "Yup!" Ras answered, Ruv asked, "What class??" Ras quickly answered, "Geography!" She continued to elaborate, "All of the other kids there are really nice, and so is the teacher Mrs. Wilson! She has a son fighting in Vietnam, and she is really kind! I'm so excited to go back!" Sarv kinda giggled, "Alright Ras go ahead and finish folding. Your father and I will finish cleaning before these go to dry." Ras finished folding ,and excitedly went to work on homework. Ruv spoke dipping a T-shirt into the water, "She seems really excited. Has she been getting better grades?" Sarv looked over wrist deep in the warm water, "I'm not sure about her grades, but her teachers say she has been doing better in school." A yell came from the entryway, "Mama, papa! There is something at the door!"

Both Sarv And Ruv take the clothes out that they were washing, and rushed to where Ras was. Ras looked out in confusion, Ruv came in for a closer look. It seemed to be some sort of cloth and note. When they got closer they realized. It was a 12 folded flag that was folded into a triangle. The note read, "Your son, Selever, R. Morningstar has been lost in the heat of battle." Ruv looked in horror, and continued reading, "He has been marked MIA..." Ruv sighed relieved he could still be alive, he continued,  "After having been ordered to scout for enemy troops. His current whereabouts are unknown, it is unsure if he is alive or not. His service will be remembered, for the honor of the United States, and for the freedom you have been given. Signed, 120th company commander." Selever was gone... they couldn't believe it. Ras went emotionless, all the Hope was gone.