Playing with Fire

Chloe: Spider Max!

Chloe: Enjoying ya new wheels dude?

Chloe: Must be, stop ignoring me! >:-(

Max: NO EMOJI

Chloe: Har har! guess you're rubbing off on me :-*

Chloe: That's a kiss, yea?

Max: Ya, but I wish it was the real thing.

Chloe: Sooooooon! Should I add more ooooooooo's?

Max: Maybe 1 or 2 XD

Chloe: Max, the drive to LA is 15 hours!!!

Chloe: Prolly gonna take 2 days at least. You OK with that?

Max: No

Max: Yes

Max: idk

Max: :*-(

Chloe: No crying. Call you when I leave. Need to hear your voice

Max: Wait, that's at least 30 hours on the road! :*****(

Chloe: Damn Caulfield does that mean extra tears?

Chloe: NO CRYING!!

Chloe: Emojis are cool I guess. Hate it when you cry.

Chloe: Out the door now

Max: Call me!

Chloe: On it

The phone rang several times before Max picked up. She delayed answering not because she didn't want to speak to Chloe, of course she did, she wanted to sound strong, not dejected and pathetic like she felt. But there would be no way of hiding it from her best friend. She cleared her throat then answered, "Why, hello there, Chloe Price." She dropped her voice down an octave clearly attempting to sound brave.

"Maximus, what the hell was that?" The older girl scoffed. "I know you're not happy about this, but I need you to understand."

"I do understand, Chloe, honestly. I just feel like I can't compete with someone like Rachel Amber. I've seen pictures and spoken with so many people about her. She's gorgeous, funny, talented, smart..."

"Let me stop you right there." Max could hear the truck's loud exhaust in the background. At least she thought it was the exhaust. She wasn't as vehicle savvy as her partner, she just knew it was noisy. Her ears struggled to keep Chloe's words and the truck's grumblings separate. "Shit, dude, you are every bit as funny, smart, talented, and gorgeous as Rachel. I really hope you realize it soon. She had, uh... HAS a confidence about her, and she's got a way with people. If Rachel wanted it, she was going to get it. She's cunning and crafty and..."

Max wasn't sure if Chloe's talk was supposed to make her feel better, but it was having the opposite effect. All she heard were compliments aimed at Rachel, making her feel small and insignificant. "Rachel is amazing, I get it."

"You didn't let me finish, dork!" Chloe barked. "She's all those things... but she's no Max Caulfield. She doesn't even compare to you. I mean it, you're literally perfect. As soon as you realize that shit and gain more confidence, you're gonna be unstoppable." The older girl paused and inhaled a deep, airy breath. "I prolly should've made it clear before, Maxter. I'm meeting Rachel for closure only. Period. Nothing more. I'm in no way interested in her beyond that. I'm sure she's crushing on someone in L.A. by now anyhow... and... well, I have you. She's only a friend. Just think of it as, um, just like, if you went to meet Warren for coffee or some shit."