Of Future Past

Max dropped down to her knees and clutched her hands in front of her chest, clinching each interlocked finger so hard her knuckles began turning white. She held on tightly and did something she had rarely done before. "I don't do this much, but... we'll take all the help we can get," she whispered as she ripped away several newly formed tears, promising herself she would dam the threatening deluge. After Chloe vanished inside the future window, fear began to flower in Max's mind, sending thorny waves of doubt through her heart.

"Dear God or gods, or whoever is listening. Please protect my Chloe. I've never asked you for anything, and I'll never ask for anything again, but please save our daughter and bring my soulmate back to me. Before we were even born, we were predestined to be together one way or another. She came into my life when we were kids, and she brought me hope. She filled me with joy, and became so much more than my best friend; she's my everything."

"Leaving her behind for five years is my biggest regret. Our bond was so strong we wouldn't stay apart, though. When we reconnected it came with a fucked up cost. Yet, no matter what happened, we were together – it's all that mattered. Now we're on the greatest journey of our lives, and I'm scared to death. I can't lose her, God. She and I are one; Chloe is my reason for living. She's the hope in my heart and the love in my soul. Life means nothing without her, and you might as well take me if you take her light away. Please, I'm begging you... don't take her! Bring that girl back to me. It's all I ask... uhm... amen?" She ended the prayer how she thought she was supposed to. Admittedly, her only experience with talking to God came because she knew Kate Marsh from Blackwell Academy. She overheard her prayers on several occasions when they dormed together a few years back.

The imploring girl considered waking from the dreamspace and using a photo to jump back. But with Rachel now gone, and not knowing what would happen to the future windows, she didn't think it was the best idea to awaken just yet. If Chloe somehow got stuck because she woke up, she would never forgive herself. The best thing she could do was trust the universe to bring the most important person in her life back to her.

The girl stood from her crouching position and approached the window, releasing the grip from her own hands. She remembered learning that time doesn't exist in the dreamspace, so whatever was going to happen in that moment had already taken place. At least that's what she assumed.

"I have to try something," Max whispered to nobody. "I can't just stay here in this place and do nothing." She considered wandering around and looking at the other windows, but her only concern was the one that Chloe disappeared into. She closed her eyes and located the syrupy, raised spot and pressed down. A rotating beam spiraled out from her hand and struck the greyed opening. It powered the window momentarily causing it to flicker an illuminating yellow, then dimmed back to a darkened hue. As long as the window still existed, her hope would not diminish. But she still felt like there was something more she should do.

The brunette took a deep breath, puffed her chest, and unplugged the power a second time. The oval opening flashed and lit up again but the scene did not return. After she plugged the power, she realized the rim didn't grey-out this time as it had before. It was like she half-charged it with her power, and all that remained was a second half of fast-forwarding power for a full recharge. She then realized she had accomplished all she could; the next step wasn't up to her. It was the first time in a while she felt completely powerless. Her heart was still filled with hope as she sat down in front of the window and grabbed her knees. Chloe's purpose would be to save their daughter, and Max knew her role was reduced to being the girl's cheerleader, which was absolutely fine as long as her perfect person came back.

Like swimming through a violet pool of melted metal, Chloe wasn't sure where she was going, but kept paddling with her arms and kicking forward. A brief uncontrolled moment of hysteria washed through the girl's body when she realized she was unable to breathe. Suddenly, she found herself forced forward and was standing in the hospital room that she saw through the window moments earlier. Luckily, no nurses or doctors were present to witness the impossible event. That didn't mean she went unnoticed, however, given the surprised looks from the two girls occupying the suite.