The Harbinger

Time was something that didn't matter much anymore to the engaged couple. In recent years, they only concerned themselves with specific numbers on the clock when other people were involved. If they made lunch or dinner plans with Max's parents, or if they had a meeting involving M3, they ensured their timing was impeccable. Other than scheduled events, the girls could lose entire days just spending every moment together until sleep became necessary. Even then, the lovers were never far from one another.

A newfound confidence had wrapped itself around the thorny layers of doubt and uncertainty, as the duo knew timing would be of utmost importance. They knew number one hundred and one existed now and were hopeful their love could even the odds as it had previously with the Watcher. Before attempting a forward shift again, the duo decided to try small rewinds and fast-forwards in order to build assuredness and poise. The syrupy raised sweet spots had become much easier to locate since their last meeting with Rachel in the dreamspace.

While holding firmly onto each other with a strong desire of not letting go, Max rewound for a few seconds, followed by a fast-forward from Chloe. They went back and forth in a serious, business-like manner at first. It didn't take long for the girls to turn it into a game, becoming more playful with each power usage. Even though they were in their twenties now and looked older than they did when they were children, the girls remained pirate kids and were always looking to have a fun time together.

Chloe made it clear that her main goal in life was to make every moment feel special for Max. She suspected her blue-haired beauty knew, just as she did, that every second they spent together was the most amazing moment she had ever had. This latest adventure might be the most important journey of their lifetime, but the girls would not let that keep them from enjoying each other's presence.

A couple of hours rolled by and the companions had gone forward and backwards dozens of times. Their control and command grew as their confidence continued to soar. Once or twice they even tried their powers without the other girl to see what happened, but they didn't do it much, just to stay safe. Unless they were touching, the rules seemed to remain the same. The one who used the power without touching her partner, did so alone while the other could feel the residual energy but wouldn't travel with her.

"At this point, I think we're just procrastinating, babe," the smaller girl admitted. "Are you up for trying to shift again? If not, it won't bother me if we wait a little longer. Hell, we could wait another day or two and make more romantic memories. Even waiting another week would be fine." Despite a degree of assuredness, Max was anxious to save their daughter yet also very nervous and hesitant. It went badly the last time Chloe jumped, but this time she was sure her partner's power was strong enough to bring her along.

The array of emotions seemed endless, ranging from fright of failure to overwhelming joy at the thought of seeing their daughter in person. She saw the girl through Rachel's dreamspace vision, but the idea of physically being around her in the real world filled Max's heart with a deep brimming joy.

"Yeah, let's try it. Do you have the photo you took earlier?" The older girl's voice trembled a bit with an odd mixture of both uncertainty and preparedness. Max could see her best friend going through a checklist in her head. The girl was a slacker by every sense of the word, except when she was motivated. If there was something she desired, she would bend the world to acquire it.

The photographer obtained the picture from the dresser, which was located right where she placed it a couple of hours before, and it was sitting beside Chloe's half-drank glass cup of water. Tucking it in her pocket, Max nodded in confirmation. The photo was of utmost importance, as it was a way to try again. It was the reset they needed if things didn't go quite like they had planned. The odds were against them, and the pair knew they would need every advantage they could find.