Emergence

Slipping her feet in her white sandals, she began to walk with the man. "I used to dream about you," she calmly acknowledged. "When I was at my lowest point, after you... died. You gave me advice and helped me get through some dark moments."

"I know, I was there, remember?" He softly chuckled to himself continuing to look forward as they strolled along the beach. He whistled a familiar song, but Chloe couldn't quite place it.

"Seriously, Dad, you came to me and gave me advice when I needed it. Is that what's happening now? Do I need advice?"

"Sweetheart," he stopped and turned to face his daughter. "You've grown up. You're so strong now." The man gently grabbed both of her hands and placed them in his. "You two don't even realize it yet, but she can't do this on her own, you have to use your strength to help her."

"What does that mean? Are you talking about Max? She knows I'm never leaving her, Dad. We've never been happier or stronger than we are now."

"Think about what has been happening, Sweetheart. Everything has a purpose, and her purpose is not yet finished."

"There is no purpose for you dying and being taken away from me. In a world where rewinding is the norm, how can anyone believe in purpose?"

"Yes, of course there is a purpose," he tenderly responded. "You're not using your brain, Chloe. Connect the dots. You used to be the best at that. Look out over the bay. Do you see it?" He released one hand and pointed towards the horizon.

"I don't see anything."

"Look harder, sweetheart." He pointed to a specific spot. She squinted and held her hand to her forehead, shading the sun from view. "There's a window that only you two can open together. Not just her, not just you... both of you. But only she can go through it, and she must go through."

"I see it, but I don't understand." The corners of her peripheral began to dim. She noticed reality fading to a mere shimmer. "Dad, don't leave me again. Please!"

"... give rise to each other... complementary... both of you... together..."

Chloe pushed up to her elbows and gasped deeply for air.

"Chloe! Oh, god Chloe!" Max squeezed her thin arms around her girlfriend's body, burying her head in the girl's chest. They pulled away and just looked at each other. "This must be how you felt when I passed out."

"I'm good, I'm good... I think," she nodded, picking up Max's blood-soaked shirt and wiping the remainder of the liquid from her nose and mouth. "I can't imagine a more beautiful sight to wake up to than a shirtless Max Caulfield."

"You scared the shit out of me. I wanted to rewind again but was afraid I'd do even more damage. Are you okay?" The shakiness in her voice and the dilation of her eyes clearly indicated the girl was frightened.

She moved to sit beside her freckled cutie and put an arm around her shoulder. "Max, I'm fine. But I think I know what we need to do now... well, kinda."

"Wait, how?"

"Did I ever tell you I had visions of my dad after he died, after you left?"

"No, but I imagine that's not uncommon after losing someone that close." Max went over to her dresser and put a fresh shirt on.

"Sure, but these were more than just visions. My dad talked to me and helped me get through things. It was like he was actually there to give me advice, in a dark and cryptic way, but it was always the guidance I needed. Anyway, just now, I was walking with him on a beach. He made me feel like I wasn't supporting you, Max. Like I needed to do more."