The Matchmaker

Like smoke scattering on the breeze, Max felt every bit of herself being spread across the universe, through the omniverse, and beyond the veil of reality. Every last particle rejoined the energy source that provided a sense of structure to existence; except one.

The final undefinable, intangible crumb of Max's essence that contained her conscious thought remained intact. It was securely protected by her wife's profound love and Pearl's life-restorative ability, keeping her from slipping away. Not unlike her first trip to the Watcher's realm, she reminded herself of the highest truth she could grasp.

"Cogito, ergo sum. I think therefore, I am."

Max understood the simple fact that if she could identify her own sense of self, she hadn't fully passed on yet. She never wavered because of fear or weariness, holding onto the idea that she still existed for a purpose.

"My Chloe..."

...

...

...

"Our Destiny..."

Tiny slivers of rational thought were peppered in-between abstract and incomprehensible concepts.

In a flash, transcendence revealed itself to her. Max suddenly understood the difference between the ideas of heaven and hell. The cosmic meaning of life was to filter out the positively contributing particles from those that functioned in a harmful, or negative, manner to the universe like a well-oiled machine. She felt joyful that hers were on their way to being returned to the source of positive energy. She was headed towards heaven; all except that one particle.

An abrupt, direct connection to the main line of energy linked directly to Max's last remaining speck. The bond was one of the most pleasurable sensations she had ever felt; though it paled in comparison to the pure joy she experienced when she and Chloe connected.

"Max."

She heard a voice that sounded like her own, yet disconnected from herself in the distance.

"Max, thank you."

"Who's there?" She didn't see anything but a welcoming bright, white light. The intoxicating sensation of its warmth was all encompassing, if addicting. She temporarily fell into a trance-like state, which focused her thoughts on nothing but the light. Her mind couldn't differentiate between what were formerly her five senses. Everything was experienced as a singular awareness.

"Perhaps this will make things easier."

Suddenly, the white light receded, and Max was sitting in one of the back booths at the Two Whales Diner. She looked down at her hands and arms. The silicone bands she wore as a teen were around her wrist, and she was wearing her old Jane Doe shirt and grey hoodie. Nobody else was in the diner, yet a steaming cup of coffee sat in front of her on the table.

Just to feel the sensations of real life again, she picked up the mug and brought it to her lips. She sipped in a small trickle of coffee, almost burning her tongue in the process.

"It feels real, yes?"

Across from Max, another individual materialized before her, or maybe she simply hadn't realized of the other's presence.

"I have been known by many names, but nobody gets it right. I am more of a matchmaker than a god or something to be worshipped."

Max scanned the being sitting across from her. The girl was the mirror image of herself at eighteen-years-old.

"You look like... me."

"I do not have a structure that would make sense to you, so this is the best way for us to meet. I simply reconstructed a copy of yourself as you were when you received the power I sent."