The Forever Goodbye (part 2)

The city recreation center housed some of the best practice and training facilities in the country. The organization running the track and field summer camp reserved it each year for the more than 200 participating teenagers. It was always an exciting experience, as Pearl had the opportunity to train and workout with competitors from all around the Pacific Northwest after the school year ended. She didn't get the chance to be around such focused athletes as herself on a regular basis, so her time at camp was meaningful.

The participants were all invited to an end-of-the-term pool party. It was their reward for having made it through the rigorous eight-week training program. Most of her friends and teammates were fifteen-years-old; one or two had already turned sixteen. Since several of the athletes could drive, less than the usual number of adults were present to help chaperone.

Typically, the park would schedule at least a half-dozen lifeguards for a party as robust taking place at their main Olympic-sized swimming facility. But this was an after-hours event where only three employees were free to work that evening– which was the minimum required by state law. The lifeguards that were scheduled to be on duty were the youngest and newest on the staff.

The organization provided all camp participants with two tickets that served as concession vouchers, which could be used on any available refreshments; one ticket per item. All non-bottled beverages and refills were free of charge. A small handful of volunteers worked the counter, assisting the athletes to hydrate and fill their bellies.

About two-thirds of the way through their allotted time at the pool, one of the more popular, mischievous boys discovered a megaphone in the main supply closet. After standing on a chair, he used its voice enhancement feature to gather everyone's attention. In what seemed like an innocent, fun activity, the boy told everyone to get out of the pool. He asked them to line up on the edge and wait for his instructions.

"Here we go. On the count of three, everyone cannonball in at the same time. Some of you get on the diving boards and get ready." He pointed in Pearl's direction. "When I get to three, let's make this place rock! If the water ain't movin' like a big ass wave pool, we didn't do it right. After you jump in, keep the party going. Get back out as fast as you can and do it again."

The boy set the megaphone on a nearby table and seemed to bask in the spotlight; claps and whistles rang out from his peers as everyone was preparing for the moment. He stepped down from the chair and joined the others by the pool.

Pearl just happened to be near one of the two diving boards when the countdown began. Not wanting to disappoint the group, she scrambled up the ladder and made it to the edge just as the boy shouted out, "Three!"

With a smile on her face, she jumped onto the board, bending it with her weight. As her body was catapulted into the air, she tucked her legs up near her chest and wrapped her arms around her knees. As gravity pulled her downward, she hit the water hard, sending what must've been a large splash up from the surface where her body made contact. She could hear others splashing in all around her.

She sank low in the deepest end of the pool, proud of her contribution to the group exercise. After touching the bottom, ten feet under and casually pushing up, she readied herself for a deep breath of air. She didn't realize another athlete had climbed the ladder behind her and was midair, also in cannonball form. He was the largest teenager in the group– a shot put specialist. His best throw was 74 feet; just about three shy of the world record, and he stood about 6 feet, 6 inches tall, with a weight of probably 235 pounds.

Pearl's forehead was cresting the surface at the same time as the newest jumper's balled-up body was entering the pool. To her surprise, he struck the brunette with unbelievable force; two knees to the top and side of her head. A scattering, bright shine of radiant colors was thrust throughout her vision. She immediately tasted the iron-like, metallic flavor of her own blood deep inside her nasal passages.