Path of Least Resistance

The almost unbearable rushing wind felt like tiny invisible razor blades, and the dark shadowy void seemed to extend and stretch through the folds of reality. Caricatures of memories twisted and melted together like a ball of wax in her head as she could feel her physical body hurling through space. After several moments of uncertainty, fear, and abstract thoughts, a smooth grain of confidence slid past the spiky pricks of terror. Max felt her daughter's presence and knew they were still together, wherever they were.

A flash of light replaced the endless sea of darkness, and the haze from the empty expanse cleared revealing a brick building-like structure surrounded by streetlamps that lit the area. She couldn't tell how long they had been traveling, or how far they had gone, but she immediately knew they were nowhere near where they started. Max was relieved when she finally felt the grassy solid ground beneath her feet where she was still gaining her balance. Consciously controlled thoughts returned as Max noticed several other people in the distance walking inside the structure using the glass double-door entrance. Their arrival seemed like a blazing grand entrance that should be seen for miles, but nobody appeared to notice.

"Shit, I've been here before," the tall blonde spoke from behind, startling her mother who hadn't gathered herself enough yet to have noticed the girl. "This is where I ended up the other time I glitched. Come with me." Des swiftly walked past her Mom, then motioned for the brunette to join her as she began walking the one hundred or so meters to the large building. "We have to hurry."

"Where are we?" Max confusingly asked before taking her first step forward since their arrival. Des turned and grabbed her wrist forcefully pulling her along from the spot where she was standing. Her daughter was strong-willed and reminded her of Chloe when she was motivated to accomplish a task. "Chloe," she woefully whispered to herself remembering when she heard her wife's footsteps running towards them as they vanished from the kitchen floor.

"Mom will be fine, but we have to get inside quickly. I'll explain there." The girls hastened their pace and entered the building. The small foyer area smelled a bit old and musty, and the furniture was about twenty years outdated. The main hallway lead to a dead-end where two thick wooden doors were propped open by the chrome lever door holder at the bottom. There was a curved line in the carpet where friction had torn away at the flooring for many years. They were among the last few stragglers to enter the auditorium, and as they found two empty seats near the left-center aisle, Des slouched down in the chair motioning for Max to do the same.

When the lights were dimmed the presentation began. The brunette's eyes widened with wonder as she watched a well-dressed, gorgeous blonde stroll from the wings of the stage into the spotlight behind a podium with a purple logo that read 'HUSKIES'. She was dumbfounded and amazed at the woman who looked nearly like an exact copy of her wife. Her hair was slightly longer, and she seemed to possess an aura of confidence even her soulmate didn't typically display. The cadence of her words also flowed from her lips in a different manner than she was used to. Nobody else would probably have noticed the difference, but Max heard it immediately. There was no mistaking, this was not her Chloe; though she loved watching this version of her best friend speak in front of a crowd of hundreds.

The lecture hall was filled almost to capacity, but the back, left row was practically empty. Nobody sat on either side of the girls for four seats in each direction. The presenter spoke about time and space and the existence of multiple realities. While Max understood about half of what was being said, most of it went way over her head. She smirked to herself as she considered the idea that each Chloe in every universe was probably the smartest person she knew.

"Okay," Des whispered as she leaned over to make sure nobody in the row ahead of them could hear what she was about to say. "A younger me is gonna walk through those doors in a few minutes super afraid and tense." She pointed towards the doorway they entered previously, which had been shut after the lecture began so light from the foyer wouldn't trickle in. "It was a good thing I was here, though... I saved her life." She motioned towards the woman on stage with a small bob of her head.