Chapter 4

Previously...

Then a day arrived, he was given a chance to escape from the house of suffering.

On that day, the young master's secrets were finally revealed. That day, the young master's family realized how late they were to know how much the eldest son suffered alone. And they might have no chance to correct everything.

-

It was early in the evening when Cale was left alone. Ron got summoned by his father first thing in the morning to help in the preparation of the Countess's art exhibition.

He got it as his only chance.

He immediately grabbed spatial magic bags where he put everything he needed. He then made sure no one would see him nor notice him. His once red hair turned black while his eyes remain the same. He tried making himself look ordinary as possible.

No one should notice him or he will lose this only chance.

No one did. He successfully left the mansion without awaring anyone. The funny thing is, he left from the main entrance. The knights guarding the gate didn't even notice him, they were all busy chatting to notice a small kid sneaking out.

It took them 12 hours to finally notice the trash.

Ron was the first one who discovered his disappearance. The moment he finished the task assigned to him, he thought about checking the young master when he saw no one. This Ron is someone who can feel the people's presence, yet he felt nothing inside the closed room.

Instead, he saw a piece of paper bidding a goodbye.

Ron,
I have a feeling that you are the one who would see my letter. Please don't think someone take me, I left all by myself. No need to find me. If you're worried about my well-being, I can take care of myself. I really have no plan writing a letter but I somehow feel guilty leaving you just by thinking that you would see nothing once you return. Then, I'll leave them to you, Ron. Thank you for taking care of me.
From, Cale.

When the whole family found out, they were too shocked to think straight. All they can think about is to find him. Who cares if citizens get disturbed by several knights exaggeratedly searching every corner of the territory.

Then rumors spread. The eldest son, the trash, is missing. Someone celebrated and some wished for his well-being.

But then, another revelation happened. This boy is just like his mother, he developed a habit like writing a diary. In that diary, he wrote everything. Everything, including his thoughts and emotions. Some content is only known to the family, the others only know the abuse part.

For his family, they are disappointed, especially to themselves. They just found out everything he came through.

It later on discovered that the trash noble got abused at a young age. It was a mixed emotion. The count was so mad that he ordered for the head of the abusive servants after Ron confessed seeing the bruises the young master had all around his body.

That even heated up rumors spreading the territory. The Henituse household is not only finding the missing eldest son but also the abusive servants that manage to escape. Some who got caught are punished severely for hurting the son of a noble and a child. If only the countess didn't stop the count, he would kill them himself.

The countess went cleaning for the whole week and fired all servants that failed to serve their master.

Watching all of that, Basen, at his young age, is smart enough to understand some of it no matter how chaotic it is. He was also disappointed in himself. His brother protected him but he didn't have a chance to do the same. He knew how aloof his brother was from the whole family however no matter how smart he is, he failed to realize how hard his brother's life was. Maybe it is his fault for stealing the life supposedly for him. But then, his brother would be mad if he blamed himself.

The only thing he can do for now is to wish for the happiness his brother deserves. 'I'll wait for you, brother.'

Deruth blamed himself and will forever keep blaming everything on him only. If only he was not a coward, if only he accepted every invitation his son did before, if only he noticed the sign of abuse, if only he paid more attention to him... maybe such a thing would never happen.

They're just too late. They failed him.

Even if they find him, he doesn't need them anymore.

All he thinks is to find himself again, by having freedom and happiness.

-

Next...