Chapter 23

Previously...

The young man looked at the kid who kept muttering words until it stopped, only to see that the kid fell asleep. He was so focused watching the sleeping kid that he didn’t notice how the soft smile formed on his lips.

“Goodnight.” He whispered. With that, the candle is finally off.

It was such a peaceful night and a beautiful sight of the newly formed father-son were sleeping next to each other. A peaceful sleep not until Cale woke up gasping for air.

-

“Here.” Rock said, handing a glass of water to the kid.

After the sudden movement of the kid, Rock also woke up with that and can’t help to look for any possible threats but find the terrified kid instead.

“Can we talk about it?”

The kid looked at him and hesitated. He looked down and stayed quiet for a while until he gathered his courage to look at the man and talk.

“It is just a nightmare. I dreamt someone was choking me.” Rock prolonged their stares before he sat next to the kid and patted the kid’s back.

That is not literally a dream, but a memory. A memory of him where he woke up with a man above him and huge rough hands around his small neck, he really didn’t remember how he survived that night.

“How long have you been having this nightmare?”

“…even before I left.”

“Your scars…” Rock is referring to the scars and bruises he saw with Freesia when they cleaned the sick boy. “Do your scars bring back your painful past? Do you want me to erase that?”a

Well, Rock's scars do bring back bad memories.

Maybe I can use the ring to heal his scar, he thought which the crybaby immediately opposed.

— you can’t do that. The ring can heal any injuries but the scar remains.

‘Then I’ll find something that can make it happen.’
No need. As these scars make me remember my abusive past, it also makes me remember one of the reasons why I am here.”

“Alright. But remember that as long as you’re in my care no one can ever lay a hand on you.”

Finally, the child smiled. It even makes Rock stunned on that sight as he has never seen the kid smile this bright before and will only smile slightly based on the manager and head chef’s report. (Rock really didn’t ask them to report, but can’t be called a report as it is more like flexing their interaction with the kid and the kid’s skills at work)

“Thank you.” Cale was sincere with that. He really is thankful.

As long as he looks at the kid, the more he thinks of something. “You are mature despite your young age.”

“Maybe it is because I know my responsibilities too early, at the same time… I was told to.”

“You are a kid.” Cale was taken back at Rok’s quick response. “Your role is to enjoy your life and leave the problem to the elders.”

“Oh please don't take my job from me.” Cale misunderstands it as an excuse to fire him.

“Why would I take something you enjoy?”

“Mm. I’ll do my best.” He is swearing to continue doing his best in his job until he takes the head chef position from the current head chef. Poor Mack having a component to his position.