Chapter 37.

This year the Slytherins had finally come out of the shadows and were asserting dominance over the other three houses. 

The only house hadn't backed down was Gryffindor. The Marauders pranks were less common now as were Cassiopeia's arguments with teachers. 

Cassiopeia's temper had also come out to play far more often than it used to. She was always ready for a fight both verbal and physical. One wrong move from anyone and she would explode. It was mostly due to nerves. 

She wasn't afraid of Matthew Crabbe on the contrary she laughed at the fact that he could even be classified as a wizard. She was afraid of who would come after Matthew. Regulus was right there were people like the Lestranges and Blacks. And the Death Eaters were right she couldn't back down from a fight. Her pride couldn't let her. 

Anytime outside of classes was spent in her room researching and practicing dark curses. She knew Dumbledore could probably sense her but she couldn't find it in herself to care. If he didn't want her to be able to defend herself then he could come and stop her. 

She had shut out all her friends. She talked to them occasionally during classes but that was it. 

They were all beginning to get concerned. She was cold and angry all the time. Like Remus in the week before the full moon but worse. 

Sirius had finally had enough and grabbed his broom and readied to fly up the stairs. 

He landed neatly in front of her door and knocked softly. No reply so he pushed the door open. It was dark enough. The curtains were blocking out the rays of the sun. 

Sirius could see her bed and walked over, pulling back the curtains. 

"What Sirius?" She asked not looking up from her book. 

"We're all worried about you. You haven't been yourself for a week." 

"Thank you for your concern but it's unneeded." She replied. 

Sirius glanced down at the piles of books that surrounded her on her bed and his eyes widened. 

"This is dark stuff Cassie." 

"I'm aware." She muttered turning the page. 

"Why are you researching torturing curses?" He asked alarmed reading a bit from the book she was reading. 

"I've got something coming up and need to be prepared. Now Sirius if you would leave me to my studies." 

Sirius backed away with wide eyes. "What happened?" 

"Life Sirius life."

Sirius left the room quickly and went to grab the rest of the Marauders. 

"We have to go see Dumbledore." He said as soon as he found them. 

"What? Is Cassie in trouble?" Remus asked looking at Sirius. 

"She will be if we don't go to Dumbledore now." He snapped and they all hurried out of the common room. 

They had been to Dumbledore's office enough times to know the way and were there in less than five minutes.

"Sherbet Lemon. Chocolate Frog. Cockroach Cluster. Blood Pops. Sugar Quills." The gargoyle slid open and the boys ran up the stairs. 

"Professor Dumbledore!" Sirius called throwing the door open. "We have to speak to you." 

Dumbledore looked up from his papers sighing. He knew this was coming. "I suppose you are here about Miss Lovegood." 

"You know?" 

"I'm afraid I do." 

"Then why don't you stop her?" Sirius snapped. 

"I do not in any way condone Dark Magic but she does need it. I don't she will last very long without it." He said cryptically. 

"What do you mean 'won't last long'?" James asked nervously. 

"That is a question only she can answer when she feels the time is right." 

"Well how can we stop her?" Peter asked. 

"You can't. You must trust that she is strong enough to resist the temptation to succumb to the darkness. She is a strong young woman but even the strongest need somebody to fall back on and lean on in times of trouble. That may not be you four or it could be you four. The only way to find out is to have patience and trust that she knows what she is doing." 

The boys reluctantly left and Dumbledore sighed. He himself wasn't sure if Cassiopeia was strong enough. He had seen so many men and women fall for the power that came with Dark Magic. 

After a Potions lesson Cassiopeia had decided to try and get information on a certain spell she had found. Professor Slughorn was known for his knowledge on Dark Magic though he acted like a fool.

"Professor," she said after all the students had left. 

"Ah Miss Lovegood. Do you not have class?" 

"I have a free period sir." 

"Oh well. Do you have a question?" 

"Yes sir. You see I was in the library the other night, in the Restricted Section and I read something rather odd about a bit of rare magic." 

Slughorn had gone cold. The wording, the tone of voice, the stance everything was identical to Tom Riddle all those years ago. 

"It's called as I understand it Tacet Interfectorem." 

Slughorn let out a sigh in relief but then registering the piece of magic she asked about was chilled to the bone again. 

"I beg your pardon?" He said shakily. 

"Tacet Interfectorem. I came across the term while reading and I didn't fully understand it." 

"I'm not sure what you're reading Miss Lovegood, but this is very dark stuff very dark indeed." 

"Which is why I came to you." 

"Tacet Interfectorem is a spell in which a person must have the deepest hatred for the person they cast it on. To cast it one must have a broken soul." 

"But I don't understand how that works sir. How would one have a broken soul?" 

"One splits ones soul and hides part of it in an object by doing so you have broken your soul beyond repair and are able to cast the darkest of curses."

"And how would one split their soul sir?" 

At this point Slughorn was already planning his resignation from the school. He wasn't sure if he could deal with this again.

"They would have to murder someone else. Killing rips the soul apart. It is a violation against nature." 

"How many times must you split the soul to be able to cast Tacet Interfectorem?" 

"It must be split at least twice." Slughorn was talking almost as if he was in a trance. Cassiopeia's voice was smooth and dangerous. 

"This is all hypothetical isn't it Miss Lovegood all academic?" 

"Of course sir. It'll be our little secret." She gave him a chilling smile.

Slughorn couldn't take it after that and he fainted dead away.