𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒙𝒊.

"𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐁𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇?"

i sighed, "yes, dad. just like the first seven times you asked me."

"oh," he muttered. "i didn't realize i already asked."

i rolled my eyes fondly.

the argo ii was built and ready for takeoff. as soon as i arrived back to camp, we'd be heading out. 

i had to return to the avengers tower to get some final checkups done. after the whole extremis extravaganza, my powers were going out of control. they were in such high concentration that when extremis was being removed, they threatened to destroy everything. we had to extract it from me in sessions. and when the final one was gone, my powers weren't as out of control, but they were still in high concentration, putting lots of pressure on my heart. 

that had always been a possible outcome.

the pressure caused my heart to slow dangerously, and to save me, an arc reactor was put in. i'd already agreed to it, but only because i wanted to live, not because i wanted an arc reactor. the arc reactor worked as an electromagnet to my powers, keeping the excess pure energy locked up in there and only letting it out as i needed it. it was a temporary solution to get my body used to the concentrated level of energy.

after the arc reactor was removed two months or so prior, checkups were the norm. they just wanted to make sure my body was adjusting well.

after finding out about the great prophecy, my dad insisted on one final checkup that would monitor my long term progress. the report came out great, because he reluctantly agreed.

"dad, i'll be fine," i promised him. "i can handle this. and besides, we've got jason with us. the romans trust him. they'll listen to him before they shoot us."

"very funny," my dad narrowed his eyes.

"c'mere," i muttered, giving him a hug. "i'll call, okay. i promise."

"you better," he muttered, pressing a kiss to my cheek. "go kill some monsters, minnie."

"and save the world," i grinned lightly.

"and save the world," he repeated.

"leo, i thought i told you to send the holographic scroll before i got back to camp," i told him.

"yeah, you did," leo grinned sheepishly. "but, we're still loading up a few boxes, so i thought i'd record it while you guys finished up."

i gave him a deadpan look, "so basically, you didn't want to do work."