Chapter 15; Fathers Intuition

It's been a week since the encounter with my dad and I was currently in Armin's car, parked on a side road by the park where I was supposed to meet my dad. Since the weather was nice we figured the park was nicer than the cafe, especially since last time everyone watched us cry. Embarrassing to say the least.

I was going to just walk myself here but Armin insisted that he drove me. Something about wanting to make sure I was okay, he knew I'd been stressing ever since I sent that first message asking to meet.

My dad didn't seem mad, if anything he came off as relieved over messages, I just didn't know what I was going to say to him. I had to apologize but if I were him I'd spit in my face after the shit I said.

I bounced my leg repeatedly, hands tapping my thigh, anything to calm down my raging nerves. Armin reached over from the driver's seat, grabbing my fidgeting hand and squeezing it, "Calm down, It'll be fine."

I looked at his hand over mine, butterflies flew through my stomach, making me even more nauseous than before. I made my eyes look up to meet his, he was smiling. When was he not? He released my hand and moved a strand of hair behind my ear, "now go, text me when you're done and I'll come get you."

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before exhaling, opening the car door, and stepping out. The air was nice, not too warm, not too cold. I was still wearing a jacket since it was sure to get chilly at some point as the day went on.

Giving Armin one final wave, I made my way into the park. As I walked through the park, I saw kids playing, swinging on the swing set, climbing across the monkey bars. They all looked so happy. So carefree.

I spotted my dad at a nearby picnic table, under a massive tree, casting the table in a blanket of shade. He was watching the children in an intense game of tag with a big grin on his face. I could tell he was worried though, his leg was bouncing under the table just like mine.

When I got closer, I saw a basket on the table full of food and drinks. "You brought snacks?"

He calmed his leg down, pressing his hand on it to make it stop, "I wasn't sure if you'd have time to eat after school so I made some stuff. How have you been? You look better." His eyes looked me over, seeing my skin regain my natural glow and my body looked overall much healthier.

"I'm doing good, Armin's been helping me get back on my feet, he even convinced me to meet up with you once again. You really owe him a present at this point", I laughed. "Thank's by the way, for all this", I took a container of grapes from the basket, popping a few into my mouth. He was right, I didn't have time to eat.

He chuckled at my comment, grabbing some food of his own. "I'm glad you have someone you trust, and someone that seems to care a lot about you. What about that boyfriend of yours?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed, it was inevitable that he'd ask that. I wanted to shit talk Jean with him like mom and I did but I wasn't sure if that was something fitting for this situation. "We broke up, hence the drug binge and the well... anger issues." I kept it short and to the point. If I was going to heal and mend our relationship, I needed to tell the truth and be serious for once. "I'm sorry about that by the way, for snapping at you. Armin kinda made me realize that I was pushing the blame onto you which isn't fair so, I'm sorry." My face dropped.

For years I've been avoiding and treating him like shit for our past. It wasn't fair, I see that now. While he was taking time to get better and fix relationships, I was being a selfish bitch that wanted to project my awful life onto him.

"No need to apologize, we all have bad days. I get what you're going through more than anyone, trust me. But, I'm glad you're doing better." He held my hand in his and rubbed his thumb over my knuckles. I remember last time I jumped away from him but now I was suddenly okay with it. I've actually been wanting this for years, I was just too stubborn to drop my walls and let him back in.