Chapter 7: Show Me the Past, Part 1

A year or so earlier...

The doctor's college halls were rampant with cheering and laughter that day – for it was graduation day. All the senior students were about to receive their degrees, ecstatic as could be for the future that lay ahead.

It was a bittersweet day for Demetria, however. She sat in her dorm alone with the door closed, admiring a picture of her parents as she packed her things – unsure if she was ready for the open world.

She let out a few tears, dripping onto the photo as she admired it. She tried her hardest to contain the tears, but it was no use.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Demetria leaped backward as it opened slightly, trying her best to mask the tears.

"Mrs. Davenport! My sincere apologies, I was just..." Demetria trailed off.

"Demetria, it's okay. I understand how you're feeling." Mrs. Davenport came into the room to comfort the young soon-to-be doctor, closing the door behind her.

Mrs. Davenport had Demetria in her classes for all of their lives, it would seem. She was the only constant in Demetria's otherwise disjointed lifestyle.

"Talk to me, Demetria... what's going on?" Mrs. Davenport asked.

"I'm fine, honestly! I'm feeling happy today!!" Demetria masked her tears with a disingenuous smile. Mrs. Davenport could see right through it, however.

"It's your parents, I understand?" Mrs. Davenport asked, gesturing to the photo Demetria held.

"...Yeah. I should be happy today – I'm graduating, for crying out loud! But, I just can't help but think about them..." Demetria sighed, looking at the picture once again.

"Demetria, it's perfectly fine to experience these emotions. Embrace them, never let go of them – learn from them. Those experiences in life make us better cars." Mrs. Davenport assured.

Demetria shut her eyes tightly, once again trying her hardest to mask her soft crying. Mrs. Davenport nudged against her supportively, trying her best to comfort Demetria.

"Just know that both of your parents would be extremely proud of you and your accomplishments. Heck, I'm proud of all of your accomplishments. You're smart and wise beyond your years. You've excelled in almost every subject throughout your schooling. I'd go as far as to say that you're one of my favorite students in all of my years teaching – that's 20-odd years!" Mrs. Davenport comforted her.

Demetria wiped her tears away and let out a few long breaths. "Do you think so? Did I make you proud?"

"Of course, Demetria. Most students don't have half of the talent and wit that you do – although I wouldn't mention that to them." Mrs. Davenport admitted, chuckling slightly.

"Hehe... I guess I am smart, then." Demetria chuckled and sighed, starting to smile a bit.

"See?! There's the Demetria we know and love!" Mrs. Davenport blurted out.

Demetria sighed once again and looked at Mrs. Davenport with a thankful smile.

"Thank you, Mrs. Davenport. You always know what to say to me." Demetria admired.

"Of course. Now, come join the rest of us in the courtyard for the festivities! You've earned it!" Mrs. Davenport comforted as she got up and rolled out of the door, leaving it partially open for Demetria...

Demetria looked back at the picture of her parents – wearing a bittersweet smile.

She shut her eyes and let out a few tears before packing it back in her bag...