Chapter 22: Old Friends Against New Enemies, Part 1

The morning weather had finally cleared up in Radiator Springs. It was still quite cloudy, but it would seem that the rain had dissipated finally.

The Sheriff went to go pay Demetria a visit this morning at the impound lot. He drove past the townsfolk one by one, whistling as he went past.

"Mornin'!" the Sheriff gleefully wished.

"Mornin', Sheriff!" Flo responded.

He rolled down to the impound lot and arrived – gasping upon his arrival.

Lightning, Sally and Mater rolled up behind him.

"Morning, Sheriff! What's going on?" Sally said.

"...where is the accused?" the Sheriff grumbled, not even facing their way as he spoke.

"What do you mean?" Lightning said as he rolled up beside him – witnessing the same empty impound lot as the Sheriff.

"Who was meant to keep an eye on her?" Sally asked.

The three all backed up and looked Mater's way. He began to shake like he had seen the ghost light once again.

"Mater..." Sally said.

"...Where is Demetria?" Lightning asked.

Mater kept silent as he looked up at them, now maintaining eye contact.

"I dunno." Mater sighed.

"Where is the accused, Mater?" the Sheriff echoed Lightning.

Mater's shaking got more and more intense; he had reached a breaking point.

"WHERE IS SHE?!!" the Sheriff yelled.

"SHE ESCAPED TO MEET WITH FINN MCMISSILE!" Mater blurted out.

There was an awkward silence...

"Finn McMissile? Wasn't that your old spy friend?" Lightning asked.

"Yup." Mater confirmed, sighing with relief.

"Why would she go and visit him?" the Sheriff asked.

Sally perked up, wide-eyed as she realized...

"...she's going to him to get help." Sally realized.

"Help with what?" Mater asked.

"To find her parents! Possibly to find Dash too!" Sally perked up.

"Well, we gotta go help 'er!" Mater perked up.

"You're right, Mater. We need to go and help her before she gets captured... or worse." Sally agreed.

"With the attitude she's been showing us? Are we sure she deserves this?" the Sheriff advised.

"Sheriff?! Listen to yourself; she needs us more than ever!" Sally exclaimed.

"Nope, I'm staying out of this one. You all need to reconsider your decisions here." the Sheriff disagreed.

"Well, we're going – with or without you," Sally confirmed.

"That's great, but just a quick question... where the heck could Finn be? He's been missing for over a decade!" Lightning exclaimed.

"Oh, I can get in touch with him, no problem," Mater smirked.

"Are you sure about that, Mater? You haven't seen him for decades either!" Lightning asked.

"Well, I am the one who told her where to go," Mater smirked once more.