Chapter 38: The Sentence Must Be Served

The next morning...

Dash awoke bright and early for a change. After such a brutal past couple of weeks, he still made sure that he kept his morning routine in check. Demetria was still sound asleep still – having weathered a storm of events herself as of late. Dash kept his noise down out of respect for his wife; their bond was stronger than ever thanks to their 'soul campaign'. Life would seem perfect for them.

He sat in the newly furnished lounge of the wheel well, beginning to surf the internet. He was very new to the whole internet thing; he would mostly get Dan to do all those things for him. Yet he sat, beginning to surf through the housing market for somewhere in Radiator Springs. However, he was caught off-guard when a bountiful smell erupted from the kitchen. He rolled over there to find out what it was...

"Lightning! You're up early." Dash jumped and exclaimed quietly.

"Yeah. Figured I'd cook you all breakfast, but since you're up; I could definitely use a tire." Lightning offered.

"Sure thing." Dash agreed.

Dash rolled up next to Lightning and helped him cook.

"You know, we haven't had a hangout like this in a while. We should do it more often." Lightning quipped.

"Sure. We may not get a chance for a while soon..." Dash thought.

"What was that?" Lightning overheard.

"Nothing! Nothing..." Dash defended.

Lightning turned off the stove as he finished cooking breakfast, turning around to face Dash.

"Ok, what are you up to now? You and your wife are always up to something." Lightning knew something was up.

"No, it's really nothing this time," Dash assured.

"Come on... we're friends, brothers even... surely you can tell me." Lightning smiled.

"Alright... I've been surfing the housing market," Dash admitted.

"Really? Well, congratulations." Lightning said.

"We haven't even found a place yet. The housing market is kinda dead here..." Dash admitted.

"That's because we're a small country town. We don't need a housing market until we attract some tourists." Lightning said.

"...which you have been?" Dash quipped.

"Well, ever since my arrival, that seems to be the case." Lightning acknowledged.

"So what do I do?" Dash asked.

Lightning put a tire on Dash's back to comfort him as they rolled out of the kitchen to the lounge.

"Sal and I will organize that once you two have recovered from this Nettes thing. It's been a hard year for the both of you." Lightning comforted.

"But, I need it now. I don't have very long." Dash hurried.

"Someone is eager to get out... not that Sal and I are complaining." Lightning shrugged.

"I know you two have wanted Deme and me out for a while. I'm sorry it took so long." Dash apologized.

"These things happen, Dash. I'm just glad that we all made it home unscathed." Lightning said.

"...except for Demetria." Dash sighed.

"What do you mean? Did she get hurt?" Lightning asked.

"No... the parents' thing." Dash pointed out the obvious.