CHAPTER THREE

𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

     The sun was in her eyes, bleary from sleep. Y/N rose from her tangled sheets and stretched her arms upwards till she felt a satisfying pop on her back. It was a nice siesta while it lasted, she yawned. Her feet met the floor as she pushed herself up and away from the comforts of her bed. Her ears perked, she could hear the echoes of her father talking from down below. She pulled the lace of her dress closer to her collarbone to prevent it from slipping. As quietly as she could, she tiptoed her way out of her room and to the stairs.

     She peaked her head from the wall, Francisco was having a merienda with a woman and what seemed to be her daughter. There was a single woven basket in the middle of the table, it was surrounded by mugs containing freshly brewed coffee. The smell of caffeine wafted in the air; it was alluring and Y/N's stomach agreed as it gurgled loudly. The conversation came to halt and her hiding spot was exposed. With no other choice, she shyly revealed herself and timidly waved.

     Francisco smiled and patted the seat next to him where her mug was already placed, filled to the brim. She quietly made her way to her seat and took a sip of her coffee, "Y/N, this is Mrs. Julieta Madrigal." Y/N looked up and her heart skipped a beat— she's finally here! Julieta looked even more beautiful in real life, Angelo's photo did not just cut it; she exudes such gentle elegance. "Thank you for coming by," Y/N bowed curtly. Her eyes  wandered over to the girl beside Julieta, slowly looking up. The girl beamed at her, pushing her round-framed glasses up to the bridge of her nose, "I'm Mirabel Madrigal." She introduced; offering a handshake which Y/N shook delicately.

     Y/N knew she heard that name before— her eyes brightened when she finally pinpoint who she heard it from, it was from Luisa. So she wasn't just some jacked woman as Y/N originally thought. She was a part of the magical family, super strength must have been her gift. Y/N turned to her dad and drummed her fingers on the wooden table, "So how's ma doing?" Francisco coughed in his hand, avoiding her gaze. "You see, Y/N," He looked at Julieta pleadingly who reached over and touched your arm from over the table, "She's better, but I fear that it might take a while for a full recovery." Y/N furrowed her brows, she thought that one bite was all it took— then again back in the Philippines, she also didn't fully heal.

     Mirabel twirled a curl around her pointer finger, her brows were pinched and she looked apologetic, "We had to rebuild Casita three years ago, and ever since, the magic isn't quite the same." Julieta gave Y/N a warm smile, the corners of her eyes wrinkling, "Don't worry, hija, your mama will be okay." Hija, it felt wrong to think that she sounded more motherly than her own birth mother. Y/N coyly smiled at the older woman, fidgeting with her pinky finger. 

     Francisco patted Y/N's head, "Why don't you explore the village while Mrs. Madrigal and I work out a schedule? You've been cooped up in this house for too long." He suggested and Julieta nodded, "You can take Mirabel with you, she's a fantastic tour guide." She cooed, pressing a soft kiss on Mirabel's cheek who playfully rolled her eyes in response. Y/N pushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear and glanced at Mirabel shyly, "Only if she doesn't mind." Mirabel grinned at Y/N, adjusting the strap of her bag, "I'd like to show you around."

     Encanto was a rather small village, everyone knew each other except for Y/N since she didn't had the chance to get acquainted yet. The houses were all decored with color, and most roofs were crooked but it somehow added charm to it all. The streets were busy with people going about their day, some where carrying large baskets with groceries inside while others were hauling cartons of produce. Mirabel spoke of the place with such passion that Y/N just had to listen word by word.