CHAPTER NINE

𝖆𝖗𝖙: by yours truly

𝖆𝖗𝖙: by yours truly

† 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌: cursing

𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥

     Her eyes turned glossy, a teardrop threatened to fall on the rim of her waterline. "Ah fuck, you poked my eye!" She cursed, she fanned her face like it would dry up her tears. Camilo retracted his hand, distancing the eyeliner pencil from her, "I'm sorry, this is so much harder than I thought!" He blew on her eyes but it wasn't helping.

     The two unknowingly sat intimately close— Y/N was in between Camilo's legs, the makeup he stole from his mother laid on the ground beside them. "Okay, let me see," Camilo whispered, grabbing both of Y/N's hands and setting them down to her lap. The black eyeliner smudged, it surprisingly worked well knowing that they were going for a ghostly look; a happy little accident, you can say.

     "How does it look?" She asked, receiving a little grin from the man in front of her, "It's coming together, my best work yet!" Camilo had some experience with eyeliner and he doesn't want to admit it but she wore the look better than he had when he was fourteen; his wobbly linework had gotten better. Y/N gave him a skeptical look, "I don't know, Camilo, an eyeliner and lipstick for fake blood might not be convincing." 

     He scoffed, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. "It will be convincing for a nine-year-old." She gaped at him, "You're telling me we're going to scare a little kid?" She can already hear the child's bloody scream followed by wailing and thrashing; she grimaced. "Don't you have a soft spot for children?" His lips quirked up, his hair bounced as he nodded, "I do... not unless they messed with mi hermano." Chico was the village's trouble kid, he was quite burly for a nine-year-old. He was infamous from both children his age and adults, the brat had even formed a mini entourage of bullies who terrorize quiet children like Antonio.

     Camilo put a hand under his chin, he puckered his lower lip in thought, "I think there's something missing." He reached for her hair causing her to flinch. Camilo was about to remove his hands but Y/N soon warmed up to his touch. He smirked at her, his fingers wrapped around her locks. He ruffled her hair till it was one frizzy mess, "Okay, now we're done." Y/N touched the knots that had formed, he made her into a proper bruja.

     He removed his legs from her side, his body felt cold without the warmth she exuded. Gathering all the makeup they used, Camilo chewed on the insides of his cheeks, "Just so we're clear... you're really okay with me shifting, right?" He didn't want a repeat of their first meeting, the way she scrutinized him with pure unfiltered disgust shook him to his core— then again, she only reacted so negatively because she was facing a mirror of herself.

     "Hey," She placed a hand on his arm and gave it a squeeze. She mustered up a smile; Camilo looked up, his olive eyes meeting with hers, "We're going to make Chico shit his pants, and we can't do that without your gift." She coyly smiled at him, winking, "Now go get the little stinker." Camilo turned scarlet; this was definitely one of the weirdest things that made his heart jump.

     Flustered, he placed a chaste kiss on her cheek, "Be back in a bit!" His voice cracked. 

     He acted before he could think. He turned on his heel and marched forward, his posture was stiff. It's game time, he can't let his prank partner distract him from their target— no matter how much he finds her adorable even under all the cakey mess he made.

     Chico's shrill laughter stung Camilo's ears; he was surrounded by his friends, waving around a stick. They circled around this one girl, poking her mercilessly with the twig. Camilo felt his anger churn, he needed to lure Chico away and he knew exactly how he's going to do it. He shifted into a little girl and daintily approached him.

     The boys halted when he entered the circle, the poor girl that they were tormenting took this opportunity to escape. One of Chico's goons tapped their ring leader and pointed at Camilo's disguise. His blood almost clotted when the demon spawn looked at him with goo-goo eyes, exclaiming, "Karissa!" The form Camilo took was Chico's little sweetheart, the hardest part of this prank was the limitation of him talking— he couldn't possibly imitate such a small and feminine voice.

     'Leave the dramatics to me.' 

     Camilo batted his lashes, curling his finger to motion Chico to come closer. He took the bait, lunging forward with his arms wide open. Camilo narrowly dodged, he'd rather jump off a cliff than let this kid's grubby hands touch him. Chico was growing impatient, he stomped on his feet with his cheeks puffed in annoyance. What a brat. Camilo rolled his eyes; tugging on Chico's sleeve, leading him to the empty and abandoned spot where his partner in crime awaited.

     Y/N walked back and forth from her spot, the kiss Camilo gave her on the cheek still felt warm on her skin. Maybe it was just how Colombians bid goodbye?  It wasn't that much far off from a beso-beso, a pretty common gesture in the Philippines. Her rambling thoughts diminished when she heard the shrub rustled, a little girl stumbled forward. It was Camilo, she could tell from the eyes, it had the same puppy look like his.

     A piercing sound ruptured the silence, it was a tantrum of a kid. Chico caught a glimpse of Karissa's ebony hair, following the recent tracks on the dirt. He pushed a dead bush aside and saw his sweetheart's back facing him. Before 'her' crouched a messy-haired lady, her darkened eyes peeked through her hair. Her red lips curled into a smile, she looked ghostly.

     "Karissa, get away from that thing." Chico reprimanded, wrapping his hand around 'her' small wrist. His heart dropped when little Karissa's head twisted to face him, her mouth wide open, "Don't touch me." The pitch that came from 'her' was incredibly deep causing Chico to drop 'her' wrist in horror. 

     Camilo improvised— Y/N was caught off guard, she couldn't help but to cackle, "Ay putangina!" To think that a sweet face like Karissa's would produce a baritone voice was genius. Unbeknownst to her, the way she laughed sounded sinister to Chico; he started backing away from the two, crying, "She's speaking the language of the devil!" The little stinker tripped on his shoe before scampering off. Camilo shifted back to himself, radiating nothing but smugness, "No one messes with Toñito!" His yell echoed ominously causing Chico to whimper out a weak 'yes'.

     Y/N raised her hand and Camilo gave her a high five. She could get used to this.