CHAPTER TWENTY

𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲: 𝐋𝐚𝐲 𝐋𝐨𝐰

     The sky had already turned dusky and the nighttime breeze lulls Y/N to a sleepy spell, her eyelids resting idly in the middle. Camilo had her arm draped around his shoulder while Antonio held his free hand. Casita entered their field of vision and it rattled its tiles to alert The Madrigals.

     Agustín was the one who greet them at the entrance, his smile faltered as soon as he saw the bruise on Y/N's skin, "I'll get your tía right away." He pressed his lips together, offering her a sympathetic look. Camilo entered first, leading Y/N to sit on a nearby couch.

     Her palm was on his lap, her skin was scraped. "I swear if I ever see that gutter man-" He stopped when she rested her head on his shoulder. He removed his arm between them and let it lay lazily on her side, "Is this comfortable?" He asked. Y/N snuggled closer, "Very."

     The first to come down the stairs was Dolores with her down, "I heard everything." She rushed to her little brother, scooping him up in her arms. "I'm sorry, Y/N, Gutiérrez may be a foul man but he never once attacked anyone." Antonio yawned, burying his face in his sister's hair. His eyes must have been heavy from crying earlier. "Let's get you to bed, Toñito."

     Y/N exhaled through her nose, "What will happen to him now?" As far as she was concerned, Encanto had an almost non-existent crime rate, everyone knew each other and was generally friendly. "I'll think of a suitable... consequence for him." Alma came along with the others with the exception of Dolores and Antonio.

     Julieta carried a plate, "Here you go, dear." She handed her an arepa, frowning as her eyes swept over Y/N's injuries. "Mama, why do we even keep the Morenos around?" Pepa rubbed her forehead with her face all scrunched up. A cloud formed which Félix shooed away, "Real talk, did you punch him good?" He asked, chuckling at his son who eagerly nodded. Alma glared at Félix before continuing, "He's currently in a holding cell so there's nothing to worry about."

     She bit into the arepa. Her collarbone and her palm tingled, the warmth spread where the pain subsided. "However you two should lay low for a few days." Camilo nodded, it was to be expected. A physical fight was a rare occurrence in Encanto and it doesn't help that Camilo had an advantage due to his magic. Y/N's head shot up, "But the garden-" Isabela cut her off, lowering her brows, "Yeah- no, you're not working tomorrow."

     "Take a day off, you deserved it." Mirabel smiled, patting her friend on the shoulder. Luisa agreed, "It's bad to overwork yourself." Y/N cleared her throat— the attention she was getting was too much for her to handle so she decided to give in to their request.

     Alma got up and adjusted her dress, "As for Señor Moreno, I'll have a chat with him tomorrow." Luisa grinned, "By the way, Abuela, I think there's some... donkey manure that needed some shoveling." She said while subtly winking at Y/N. Alma caught on, the corner of her eyes wrinkled, "I'll keep that in mind, Luisa."

     The rest of Madrigals had turned in for the night; the last to go was Bruno who smiled at Camilo and Y/N. It wasn't every night he could witness such pure affection and dare he say, it was better than his rat telenovela.

     "So I guess I won't be seeing you that much." Camilo didn't know what to do with his hands; for the past few weeks, his days were always graced with her presence. What's worse was that he couldn't stop himself from gravitating towards her. "Hey, I'm still here, don't start missing me just yet." She laughed, poking his nose.

     Camilo scoffed, "Who said about missing who? I say good riddance." That was a lie, he was already memorizing her laugh.

     Before she could retort, there was a heavy knock on Casita's door. Her father had come to get her. The walk back to their house had made her somber; she realized that her job had kept her away and now that she was asked to take a day off, she was forced to face reality.