CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱: 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞'𝐬 𝐀 𝐂𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐝

𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖊: happy single's day 

     Camilo locked eyes with Lucia— the competitiveness cackles in the air as they both approached Y/N's door at opposite ends. He had nothing to worry about or so that's what Camilo tried to reassure himself. It's not like Lucia has the same features as him; brown hair, green eyes, and so on but his facial features were just more chiseled and refined... Dios mío, he has a lot to worry about.

     He masked his doubt by adding more confidence in his gait. Lucia continued to be timid, his steps were unsure and he was avoiding Camilo's dead stare.

     The two simultaneously knocked on her door, both trying their best to ignore the presence of the other. Y/N greeted them with her brows scrunched, holding her mug. "Uhm hi?" She wasn't really expecting visitors on, her hair was a tangled mess and she was still in her white nightgown.

     "I was thinking-"

     "Let's check-"

      Lucia and Camilo looked at each other, stopping mid-sentence. Y/N sucked in her lips, clearly unimpressed. "Lucia, you go first." She lazily pointed at her friend. He let out a chuckle as he ruffled his hair, "I was thinking that we should go shopping at a furniture store, the springs on my couch are getting unbearable." Y/N thoughtfully nodded; while she also planned to buy herself a bedframe, she didn't expect she would be doing it this soon.

     "Camilo?" She turned to him— he was dressed nicely, wearing a different patterned poncho that leaned more on a yellow pastel color and it looked like he had actually taken the time to comb his locks. "I wanted to check out this restaurant with you." He said cooly. Lucia saw through his nonchalant facade as he saw Camilo subtly wipe his sweaty palms on his pants. 

    Y/N placed the mug down on a nearby table, "I can do both." Her Sunday plans of reading a novel went out the window. "I'll get dressed, wait for a moment." And off she went to her room, leaving behind the two boys on her doorstep.

     "The weather's nice?" No reply. Lucia's wobbly grin fell, Camilo looked like he was ready to bite his head off. Unbeknownst to him, Lucia just spoiled the Madrigal from asking Y/N out on a date. Camilo had already rehearsed in front of the mirror, he had pick-up lines stuffed in his pockets. But instead, he found himself being outshined by the boy next door.

     Much to Lucia's relief;  Y/N shortly came out with a flowy dress, fit for the sunny day. She beamed at the two, locking her arms on both of them. She was beyond excited, she had two of her favorite people to hang out with. "Watch out, Encanto, there's a new trio in town!" She marched them down to where the stairs were, only to realize that the three of them couldn't fit.

     The shop was a bit cramped— the furniture was lined in narrow rows, they had to be careful to not knock anything off. Lucia was pretty much set on what he was going to buy. He had picked out a marmalade couch, ready to be delivered in a few days. Y/N, however, was contemplating over two beds. "You think I should ditch my mattress and buy the entire thing?" She asked Lucia.

     Lucia patted the smooth sheets, "It is oddly tempting, the mattress that comes with the apartment is rock solid." Camilo had nothing to bring to the conversation; in all honesty, he was convinced that he was a ghost at this point. Lucia and Y/N were so taken in their own little world and the childish need for attention was nagging his mind.

     Camilo hugged her from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder. Lucia's voice faltered and Camilo couldn't help but smirk smugly. Y/N reached up to his curls and brushed it with her fingers, "How about you, Milo, what do you think?" He blew his hair away from his face, "I'm hungry." He mused.

     Y/N rolled her eyes, pushing him off her. "Alright, I'll buy the whole bed." 

     The walk to the restaurant didn't take long. It was a simple quaint place, owned by a humble woman. The best word to describe it was homey; nostalgic even. Y/N excused herself right after they took their orders, she had to go to the bathroom to freshen herself up a bit. 

     Lucia was fidgeting with his bracelet while Camilo tapped his foot. "You should control that jealousy of yours." It was a bold statement that had Camilo gone quiet. His words didn't sound confident, afraid to anger a Madrigal. However, he didn't expect the embarrassed expression on Camilo's face. There was no sign of rage, just a bashful blush.

     "I've been told." His cousins had poked fun at him especially since he had expressed envy towards Luisa when she carried Y/N. Lucia stopped with his fidgeting, relaxing into an encouraging smile, "I assure you, I only see Y/N as a friend." A sister almost— he couldn't really tell, family stuff wasn't his expertise.

    Camilo twirled the straw, swirling the juice in his cup, "I just- how come?" Lucia had girls falling on his feet even if he wasn't looking in their direction. He was infamously known as a casanova, he chew on girls' hearts for breakfast... well that was what Mirabel heard of from Dolores' friend, Rowena.

     "It's because," Lucia awkwardly laughed, "Let's just say I don't swing both ways." And it hit Camilo like a brick. He was embarrassed before but it only worsened now. He dragged his palm on his face, "I'm sorry." It was the first time a Madrigal apologizes to a Moreno. Lucia waved it off with a chuckle.

     The thick atmosphere finally dissipated. "You should ask her out," Lucia suggested, sipping on his drink. Camilo playfully glared at him, "I was planning to, this morning actually." The straw fell from his mouth, Lucia gaped at him. "Oh dear, I ruined everything, didn't I?" It explained the sour pout Camilo had throughout the whole day.

     "I should go, make up an excuse for me-" He cut Lucia off, "No no, I think this is for the better." Lucia raised his brows at him, waiting for him to continue. Y/N had come out of the restroom, exchanging smiles with Camilo from afar. "She has her own thing going on right now." He had never seen her this carefree, there was a bounce to her walk and the apple of her cheeks was pink.

      "Maybe at another time." There was no rush, after all, he would wait an eternity for whenever she's ready.