CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: 𝐒𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞

     Leonora stepped inside the empty room, it hadn't been touched since the day Y/N left. The sheets were slightly crumpled and her desk was bare. The only personal belonging she left was the framed drawing in the middle of the wall. Crisanto's face was somewhat smudged, he was drawn solely from memory. 

     She traced her hands over the glass— he had always been selfless, too selfless. Her eyes trailed over her figure, carrying a young Y/N in her arms. "I wish I hadn't been so stupid." If only she turned down the cigarette her friend passed on to her. The first time the smoke intoxicated her, she was coughing outside while the rest mourned in their home. She was alone then and she still is right now.

     The sounds passed through the walls, she always heard Y/N crying in her bathroom. She went inside only to find the shattered mirror. Days Y/N spent sobbing on this very tiled floor, Leonora sat down and pressed the back of her head on the wall. She heard it all and yet she did nothing.

     Leonora felt the metal beads on her collarbone, she took off the necklace and smiled. It isn't too late, she hoped.

     The moment she stepped out of the front door was bliss, it was like seeing an old friend after a long time. Although her legs felt weak from a year of staying in bed, she stretched out her arm and the warm sun kissed her skin.

     It didn't take long for her to stumble upon the marketplace; they had a variety of stalls and one in particular caught her eye. There was a red scarf, beautifully embroidered with a floral pattern. "It'll look lovely on you, señora." The storekeeper beamed, encouraging Leonora to try it on. She wrapped the scarf around her head, bringing out the redness of her lips. "Perfecta." The storekeeper grinned.

     "Thank you, how much will it cost if I buy it with this as well?" Leonora motioned over to another scarf, having a similar color to butterscotch. The payment process didn't take long, she was now strolling around the market looking for mirrors. She ended up buying an oval mirror with its bronze frames intricately designed. 

     The marketplace ended and transitioned to the colorful center of Encanto. She sat on a bench and laid the butterscotch scarf on her lap. She placed the mirror in the middle and flipped it on its back. Digging her hand in her purse, she pulled out a small envelope and slipped the necklace in. A blur of yellow passed by her causing her to look up. She quickly tied the scarf and ran after the brunette boy.

     "Hey, iho!" Leonora called, successfully catching the teen's attention. "You're my daughter's friend, aren't you?" She couldn't miss the iconic yellow poncho, she saw him briefly sneaking out with Y/N. Camilo's eyes widened as he recognized the lady, "Señora L/N?" His heartbeat quickened when Leonora nodded. He straightened his back in hopes to get a good impression.

     Leonora took his hand and placed the wrapped-up mirror on his palm, "Would you be so kind as to give Y/N this?" She sheepishly requested. Camilo delicately held the gift, "Of course, it'll be no problem." The smile reached his eyes; it was an excuse to see Y/N after all.

     "Just- don't tell her it's from me." Because she wouldn't accept it if she knew. Camilo zipped his lips and winked, "I promise."

     Camilo shortly arrived at Y/N's apartmenthe practically ran to the place. "At this point, I might consider you as a roommate." She deadpanned, leading him in her home. He plopped down on the loveseat, patting the spot beside him. "Someone wanted me to give you this." He handed her the gift with a curious look.

     Y/N propped her elbow on the back of the seat, unwrapping the scarf. To her surprise, she saw her reflection. "A mirror?" She rhetorically asked. It was a bit uncanny to see a normal image of herself, she had grown used to the distorted ones caused by the cracks. "Huh, I got a lot of those in my room, I could've lent you one." Camilo joked.

     She sighed, bringing the mirror up to her face. An envelope fell to her lap and she passed the mirror to Camilo. "Something to smile about." She read out loudshe couldn't pinpoint whose handwriting it was, it looked rushed. She opened the envelope and saw a tiny flat metal in it. She pulled it out and the beaded necklace dangled.

     "A dog tag." Y/N gasped. Camilo squinted at the name engraved in it, "Crisanto L/N." The mention of his name pierced her heart, momentarily squeezing the air from her lungs. He bit his lip, worriedly turning to her. "I-" She stammered. Camilo shook his head, "You don't have to."

    Y/N pressed her thumb on the dog tag, her lashes casting a shadow over her eyes. "He's my brother." She exhaled through her nose, "A soldier." Crisanto followed after their grandfather's footsteps, Lolo Hernandez was a large inspiration to him. Lolo retired, war had changed him. It didn't scare Crisanto, he wanted to fight for what was right.

     "My country helped in the Korean war, 7,000 and more Filipino soldiers were deployed." He looked so proud in his uniform, he promised he'll come back home when he can. "116 Filipino soldiers died and he was one of them." He couldn't keep his word.

     She remembered it clearly when the first letter arrived, notifying their family of his death. Leonora wouldn't leave their front porch, she was hoping that if she waited long enough, he could come back. They later received the money, a death pension. "Never got to retrieve his body, maybe it was beyond recognizable."

     Y/N abruptly stood up and Camilo followed. She took the mirror and displayed it in the living room. "He sounded like a good man." Y/N nodded, "He was also a good brother." 

     Crisanto used to carry her on his shoulders so she could smell the sampaguitas. He was the one that made her love flowers in the first place. Y/N hung the dog tag on the mirror's frame— the note was true. She smiled at the dog tag then at her reflection.

     Their days together may have been short-lived but she was happy that she could live through them in her memories.