CHAPTER SIXTEEN

† 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌: tobacco addiction

𝖘𝖔𝖓𝖌: Can I Have The Day With You by Sam Ock ft. Michelle

𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

     Leonora's hands trembled as she fumbled with her lighter. She pressed her back against the wall, her shakey breaths reverberated the walls that seemingly caved her in. "Just one more." The fire kept flickering, the cigarette remained unlit. 

     "One more, please!" She nicked her finger, scarlet strings dripped. The fire ignited and she inhaled the smoke. Eyes rolling back, euphoria ran through her spine. Relief at last. 

     "Ma?" The ashy clouds left through her nose. She lolled her head to the side, her hazy sight saw a blur of a girl half her height, coughing behind her fist. "Iha," Leonora cooed, her clammy hand caressing the girl's cheek. "You love mama, right?" The girl pressed herself against her palm, nodding. "Then let's keep this as our little secret." Dropping the cigarette in between them, Leonora expectantly looked at her. The girl stomped on it with her mary jane shoe, a slight sizzle can be heard until it was completely dead.

     She was just a kid.

     Y/N blinked, she was back at the present. Watering can on hand, she mustered up a smile, "Drink up, junior." She tipped the can and water drizzled over the lush leaves. Francisco patted Y/N on her shoulder with a grin and handed her a steaming cup of hot chocolate, "Buddy's growing up fast." She placed the can down on the table, smiling appraisingly. "Might have to repot it soon." 

     "I saw a pretty one by the market." Francisco thought out loud, Y/N lifted her brow. "Is that so?" He bobbed his head, "Junior would look mighty fine in it." She rolled her eyes, chuckling softly. The tension had diminished as soon as her plant child came into their lives, she remind herself daily to thank Camilo for the next time they meet.

     The two watched over junior, simultaneously sipping on their drinks. Her gaze for a moment strayed and went over the window, spotting Mirabel skipping over their front door with a sunny smile. "I'll get that," Y/N said, passing her half-empty cup to her father.  She wiped her hand over her skirt just in time for Mirabel to start knocking. 

     She opened the door, pulling her friend in with a hug. "Heya Mira!" However, Mirabel was stiff in her embrace which caused Y/N to step back. To her surprise, Mirabel's hazel eyes shimmered green for a second. "Hi, Y/N." She sounded like a toad, the realization dawned on her. Y/N clamped her hand over her friend's lips, "Camilo?" She whispered, her gaze flickering towards the shapeshifter and her unknowing father.

     Camilo nodded, cheeks squished under her grasp. She removed her hold on him, revealing a bashful smile underneath. "Who was it?" Francisco chimed, sitting on his chair. Y/N nervously chuckled, "Just Mirabel, we'll be in my room." It was now Camilo's turn to be stunned, basically going along as she dragged him up to her room. He had never been there before— he closed his eyes shut, letting Y/N push him in.

     "Care to explain?" He peeked one eye open, "What? Can you blame me? I wanted to see you!" She blew a strand of her hair away from her face, arms crossed as her foot tapped on the hardwood floor. Camilo looked around before shifting back to himself.