CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞: 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

      "Now this is home!" Y/N gestured at the rundown apartment, an unhealthy amount of pride swelled in her. Antonio craned his neck, holding onto her arm, "I think I just saw a cockroach."

     The grimy wallpaper was peeling and the furniture was dated. "Yeesh, this place actually cost money?" Camilo commented, waving the dust particles away from his face. Mirabel elbowed her cousin, giving him a reprimanding look. Luisa ducked over the doorframe, "This place sure is tiny." 

     Y/N laughed it off as she placed junior at a windowsill. "Just some indoor plants and a paint job are all it needs." She walked over to a grandfather clock, it was leaning to the side and it was wobbling a bit. "This one looks antique!" Before she could knock at the wood, Luisa lifted her up in her arms. The clock collapsed, the glass shattered.

     "That thing just tried to kill me." Y/N huffed, holding onto Luisa's broad shoulders. Mirabel took Antonio away from the shards, "Maybe Toñito should visit another time." He dug his feet on the floor, stubbornly shaking his head, "But I want to stay!" Mirabel continued to drag Antonio out of the apartment, "I'll be back with some paint!" She called before leaving.

     Camilo peeled his eyes away from the scene, looking up at Luisa to see Y/N all pressed up against her, "You can put her down now, Luisa." However, Y/N was flushed in her arms. "Actually, Milo, I think I like it here." Camilo rolled his eyes, shifting into Luisa and taking Y/N from her. He gently placed her down the floor, shifting back to himself.

     "What do you reckon we do, captain?" Luisa playfully asked. Y/N laughed, taking a broom and tossing it towards Camilo who ungracefully caught it. "We should probably make this living room safer for Antonio." Luisa picked up the planks from the fallen clock, careful not to prick herself from the sharp glass. Y/N got an extra broom and started sweeping with Camilo.

     She silently cleaned the other side of the room— the Madrigals had just showed up outside her apartment early this morning, excited to see her new home. Unfortunately, Isabela and Dolores were busy with the nearing wedding. She did receive an invitation which was no surprise given that she was steadily getting closer with the family. 

     Unknown to her, Camilo started sweeping closer to her spot, subtly poking her side with the end of the broom. "Do you think we can do sleepovers now?" Y/N choked on her saliva. He smirked, shrugging, "I don't snore... I think." Luisa scoffed; Camilo barely even sleeps. She exited out of the room with a bag full of debris, "Don't do anything funny while I take out the trash."

     "Milo, I don't even have a guest room." Y/N pointed out; she had a single mattress, mentally reminding herself to buy a bedframe tomorrow. Camilo turned away, covering his growing blush with his curls. She can be so dense sometimes— he swept harder.

     Eventually, he reached the windowsill where junior basks in the sunlight. Its leaves were bright and green and the flowers bloomed perfectly. Camilo smiled, the plant had doubled in size since he last saw it. "Did you meet your new neighbors yet?" He repositioned the pot further away from the edge. Y/N hummed, "Besides Lucia, nope." Her friend had stopped by earlier before he was off to work. Lucia gave her a small casserole as a welcome gift, he was trying to improve his cooking skills.

     "I'm back." Mirabel chirped, entering with a bucket of paint and a small monstera plant. "Isabela told me to give you this." Y/N set her broom down and took the plant from her, "Tell her I said thanks." Mirabel nodded, watching her settle the plant next to a loveseat. "I got the color beige by the way." She informed while she took the lid off.

     Y/N placed both of her hands on her hips, tilting her head up at the ceiling. "This is going to be mundane." She stood on her tiptoe and reached over the loose end of the wallpaper. Camilo chuckled, taking the form of a taller civilian. The three of them removed the wallpaper, later joined by Luisa who did an entire section by herself.

     "You know, I've always found myself getting caught up in your projects." Camilo sprawled over her loveseat, it was late noon and he stayed while his two cousins already left. Y/N moved his legs away, taking a seat right next to him. He laid his legs over her lap, snuggling deeper into the cushions.

       The apartment was looking better than ever despite the dizzy smell of paint, Y/N opened her windows to let some of the fumes out. "I'm not forcing you to tag along." She quipped with the corner of her lips quirked upwards. Camilo let out a breathy laugh, "I'd watch paint dry as long as I have you as my company." And that's exactly what he was doing at this moment.

     She rested her head on the back of the seat, her eyelids drooping, "This is nice." She sleepily mumbled. There was this comforting warmth that settled in her chest, and she could almost hear the steady beating of her heart. Camilo wordlessly agreed— he wouldn't have it any other way.

     Their nap was abruptly disturbed by the knocking on her door. She groggily pushed his legs off her lap, waking him up in the process. Camilo sat upright, rubbing his knuckles over his eyes to remove the sleep in them. Y/N answered the door only to be met with her father's toothy grin.

      "Sorry, I was a bit late, but look what I got!" Francisco excitedly thrust a plant box in her arms, it was the one he was eyeing for a long time. "This is for Junior." He stepped aside to reveal that he also came with his friend and neighbor, Cory. "And this is for you!" Cory showed her a large bottle of red wine. Y/N gave her a wry smile, mumbling her gratitude to the older woman. She doesn't really drink but it was rude to refuse a gift.

     Francisco peeked over her shoulder and saw the curly-haired boy on her loveseat. His mouth formed into an 'o' and he looked at his daughter with his eyes twinkling. "I see, I see." Cory tried to catch a glimpse at what was inside but Francisco pulled her away. "We'll swing by next time, Cory forgot to water her dog." The woman was baffled yet decided to play along once Francisco gave her a knowing look. "Yes, yes, water dog." She incoherently muttered.

     Y/N blinked before closing the door with her foot. "What was that about?" Camilo questioned, earning an honest shrug from her. Once she stored the wine inside the cabinet, she reclaimed her spot on the loveseat. "Now where were we? Oh right, sleep." She happily exhaled through her nose; relaxed. Camilo yawned, putting his legs back on her lap.