Chapter 30: Unconditional

Alexander had to leave the training camp early that day to deal with a sudden duty call in town. Bago umalis, kinausap niya si Zackary para bilinan, knowing that he wouldn't be able to go with us to the next town.

"Bring her back safely," I heard him say to Zackary with a hint of warning.

Maging si Anabeth hindi maiwasan na magalala. Wala akong makakasama kundi si Zackary. Even the orders weren't allowed to follow us. The leader of the next town rarely allows official visits and to avoid the hostility, minabuti ni Zackary na gawing personal ang pagbisita.

Bago umalis sa training camp, Zackary instructed Owen to supervise while both leaders were gone. Matapos ang paguusap, hinatid kami ng ilang orders sa paanan ng camp while two of them accompanied us down the mountain.

The hike didn't take long since we took the route closer to the next town and Zackary basically had to lift me in several occasions so we could easily pass boulders and rocks.

Pagbaba sa bundok, dalawang orders ang naghihintay sa'min sa daan with a black car. Isa sa kanila ang binuksan ang passenger seat para makapasok ako. From the window, I watched Zackary gave them last minute instructions before he opened the door to the driver's seat and sat next to me.

He hovered over me to double check the latch on my seat belt bago binuhay ang engine ng sasakyan. Alam kong nagaalala siya sa pagsama sa'kin sa ganito kaimportanteng lakad and my nerves were slowly creeping in as well.

I hope I won't mess up.

We drove along the circular twisted road of the mountains. I stared outside the car window, enamoured by the scenes before me, specially when the car passed through a long steel bridge connecting two mountains. Fascinated, I watched the top of the trees and rocks in the running river below.

Zackary noticed my wide-eye staring and told me that the bridge connects the two towns, the town of Van Zanth and Ellesmere, built in the year they were born as sign of alliance of the two leaders of the towns.

"Kaya ba importante na maipagpatuloy mo ang kasunduang 'yon?" tanong ko.

"Father respected this family," Zackary said, eyes fixed on the road. "They were a great ally in his leadership. Madami ang naipatayong infrastructure dahil sa pagkakasundo ng dalawang bayan." Humigpit ang hawak ni Zackary sa steering wheel.

"But Sir Albert, the town leader, was clear from the start. It doesn't matter if he and father are close acquaintances. He would only extent the alliance if he sees me fit for it."

His jaw clenched as he held his breath in frustration.

"But you are," I told him. "You're a great leader, Zack."

Sumulyap siya sa'kin bago kumorba ang sulok ng labi niya sa isang ngiti, the first light gesture I saw from him since this morning. Inabot niya ang palad ko at mahigpit na hinawakan, intertwining both of our fingers together while his gaze remained in front. He released a tensed breath before he lifted my hand to his lips, planting a gently kiss on my knuckles.

"I'm glad you're here with me."

After an hour drive through the twisted mountain road, narating namin ang bayan ng Ellesmere. Dumaan kami sa downtown, which was a lot smaller in area compared to Van Zanth. Concrete houses and establishments scattered around the town proper in the midst of the fog laden mountain. The streets were wet and the sky was gloomy. Mula noong dumating kami, hindi tumigil ang mahinang ambon sa buong bayan.

The car reached a narrower road with a lane of towering trees surrounding us. Unti-unting bumungad sa aming paningin ang isang mataas na kahoy na gate na pinaliligiran ang malawak na parte ng kakahuyan.