Chapter Fourteen

Once Theo had settled in, the group set to work on finding a way back to their base.

Maxy Max was tasked with finding the route, while Thomas was tasked with finding any available fuel for their bus.

"Want some help, big boy?" Tank asked, sauntering over to where Maxy Max sat on the floor, trying to find his bearings.

"Um—" Before Maxy Max could respond, Tank bent over and spread his cheeks and tooted.

The smell was potent, and the group had to relocate to another room in the building they were in.

Eventually, while Thomas returned from his hunt for fuel empty-handed, Maxy Max had managed to chart what he believed was the course back to their base.

The group bundled back onto the bus, Thomas at the wheel, and set out on the road.

"Why do you know your way around Syria?" Theodore asked Maxy Max, who smiled.

"Oh, why not."

Theodore shook his head and cursed himself for expecting an actual answer.

After a short period of driving, the bus exited the small, abandoned town, leaving The Hoff's grave behind with it.

Once again, Selena started sobbing disgustingly. Marianne rolled her eyes while everyone else sat in discomfort.

Without warning, Theo fell to the ground with a thud, out cold. Selena's sobbing stopped abruptly, and a sudden silence hung over the bus.

Everyone (but Thomas... eyes on the road you bitch) snapped their heads to look at him. He was... peacefully asleep.

"What the hell?" Marianne asked. "God, guys, I told you we should've thrown him out."

Tank scurried over and sniffed him. "It's okay. He's just part-bat, he's nocturnal."

Selena's sobbing resumed, this time louder and harder than before.

"Ohhh my god, someone shut her up," Marianne groaned.

While everyone wanted to, they also all hated Marianne, so they opted to not do what she asked.

~~~

True to his words, Maxy Max guided the group back to their base. Upon exiting the bus, everyone let out hacking coughs and began throwing up.

Tank's mighty wall of ISIS soldier bodies was no longer mighty, as they had begun to rot in the hot desert sun. God, it smelled bad.

"Do something," Selena begged Tank, plugging her nose between vomits.

Theodore and Marianne ran inside, while Gibby ran back on the bus. Maxy Max and Thomas stood where they were, vomiting, while Tank smiled.

"Smells like home," he beamed.

"Tank!" Selena snapped.

With a huff and a groan, Tank reluctantly set to work removing the rotting corpses from the premises.

While Tank did this, everyone settled into the base (except Theo, who was asleep on the bus).

"It feels weird to be back here without Mitch," Thomas muttered, glancing to the empty couch. The right arm of it was stained with blood, and everyone cringed.

"This place is pretty nice," Gibby smiled, taking in the base. "Are there gonna be enough beds for all of us?"

Marianne glared at Selena and Thomas, "Those two can share a bed."

Selena's eyes widened and Thomas shook his head, "Marianne! Weren't you just making out with Gibby?"

Without missing a beat Marianne nodded, "Yeah, but I was just horny. Besides, I'm lesbian."