Chapter Twenty-One

Two days passed uneventfully. ISIS soldiers didn't storm the base, which reassured everyone that they were under the radar. On the third day back at the base, they had a visitor.

A knock sounded at the door in the morning, and everyone froze from where they sat at the table eating.

"Get your guns," Thomas whispered, creeping towards the door.

Everyone complied and aimed their guns as Thomas slowly reached for the doorknob.

"Just open it!" Tank hissed.

Thomas swung the door open to reveal Diamond Daisy, covered in dirt and bleeding from her face, arms and neck.

"Oh my god!" Selena gasped, lowering her gun. "You're alive!"

Diamond Daisy staggered into the base as Thomas stepped aside to let her in, shutting the door behind her.

"How did you get here?" Gibby asked, handing her water.

She drank it quickly, letting out a heavy sigh. "I've been walking since the bomb went off. I had a hunch you guys would be here."

Everyone stared at her awkwardly, feeling even worse for leaving her behind.

"We thought... we didn't know..." Theodore couldn't figure out what to say, and Diamond Daisy held up her hand to stop him.

"It's okay. I get it. Me and Marianne got thrown pretty far by the blast."

At the mention of Marianne's name, everyone looked up. She wasn't there.

"Where is she?" Selena asked quietly, nervous of the answer.

Diamond Daisy put her head in her hands and let out a scream that lasted for twenty seconds and ended in a moan. "She's dead. I tried to save her, but there was so much blood. I think she was on her period."

Everyone looked defeated and slumped down at this news. Marianne was dead. Despite everyone's dislike for her, she always had good intentions and gave her all to the squadron.

"I'm so sorry, Diamond Daisy," Thomas muttered, not knowing how to comfort a lesbian.

"Hey mamas," Tank said softly, stroking her buzz-cut head. "Marianne's probably watching under you. From hell."

This seemed to soothe Diamond Daisy, who shuffled over to the couch and slumped down. Her head was resting right on the armrest covered in The Hoff's blood.

The Warrior Cats Cavalry immediately pounced on her and began licking the dirt off her body. Tank joined them.

"At least Tank is good at comforting her," Gibby observed, which everyone agreed with.

Unsure what else to do, they turned back to their breakfasts and ate in silence.

Meanwhile, Tank sat on Diamond Daisy's legs, giving her a back massage while she laid across the couch.

"So, what did Marianne's body look like?" Tank asked her.

"Tht's rlly rde," Diamond Daisy answered, her voice muffled by the couch cushions. She turned to look up at Tank. "Do you have no filter?"

Tank shook his head proudly. "Nope. So, what did it look like?" He hopped off Diamond Daisy's legs so she could sit up beside him.

"Really bloody and mangled. Ugly, I guess," Diamond Daisy told him.

Tank laughed at this. "Purr. You're funny, Diamond Daisy, I like you."

Despite her sadness, Diamond Daisy managed to smile.

"I want to tell you a secret now," Tank whispered to her.

Diamond Daisy's eyes widened, and she nodded, leaning forward.

"I'm not scared of ISIS. I actually think they're really cool. I wanna see them again," he whispered, giggling.

"What?" Diamond Daisy sat back. "Why are you telling me this?"

Tank rolled his eyes and sat back. "Because I bet you want revenge on ISIS for killing Marianne, and you managed to get back here on your own. So, can you help me find ISIS?"

After a moment of contemplation, Diamond Daisy nodded. "Alright, I'll do it."

~~~

That night, the group sat on the couch and chairs playing Charades. They had eaten their dinner together and were finally getting along.

After Tank finished his turn, Thomas stood up. "Okay, guys, I have some news."

Everyone looked at him in confusion.

"How? We've been together this entire time," Theodore shot back.

"Let Thomas say," Maxy Max told him.

Thomas nodded to Maxy Max and smiled. "Me and Selena are dating."

Everyone turned to look at Selena with wide eyes, and Tank let out a hack. "So soon after The Hoff died?"

Immediately Selena slapped him across the cheek, and he let out a pathetic meow of pain.

"Ignore him. Congrats, guys," Gibby smiled. "It's a nice change to have some good news."

Selena smiled. "Thank you, Gibby," she said, glaring at Tank. "Tank, I thought you were happy Mitch died? Even though he, y'know, gave you a place to live?"

"Nope," Tank shook his head. "I liked Mitch. I just didn't really care when he died."

Everyone sat in an uncomfortable silence at this until Selena got up off the couch.

"Alright. This has been fun. I'm going to bed." And so, she did, leaving everyone in more silence.

Tank farted and everyone else cleared out of the room, making it an early night. Everyone except for Tank and Diamond Daisy.

"So, what's the plan?" Tank asked her.

Diamond Daisy smiled. "Okay, listen. I thought about what you said, and I did some digging, and you're right. ISIS is so interesting."

Tank nodded excitedly, his tongue flapping out of his mouth. "Aren't they?"

"Did you know their leader, Jason Donnegan, is Irish and used to be a famous TikToker before he took over?"

"Pssh," Tank snorted. "As if I didn't! I saw him in person, you know. We broke into their base, and he was there. Mega sexy."

Diamond Daisy smiled, "Really? How did you do that?"

"It was easy," Tank told her. "They had a hole in the wall, so we just snuck in through there. Anyways, what else did you find out?"

"Well, they're obsessed with Max. From his chatroom thing, I guess. I think Jason has a crush on him."

The smile on Tank's face disappeared. "No. Maxy Max is mine, but I can't compete with that sex god Jason."

Diamond Daisy shook her head quickly. "No, no, it's okay. When we go find ISIS, you can talk to Jason. You like him, don't you?"

Tank's smile returned. "Yeah. Honestly, I don't see the issue with ISIS. They seem like a good time."

"Maybe. They did kill Marianne though," Diamond Daisy said. "Then again, she's not a great kisser."

Tank clapped his hands gleefully. "So, what's the plan? How will we get there?"

Pulling Tank closer, Diamond Daisy leaned in until she could practically smell his mayo-scented breath. "Listen carefully..."