xxii. ghost of you

▆▆ ·  ·  ·  · ♡ ୭ ̥◌ . 
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆ 
˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒘𝒐 " 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺  

  ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆  ˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒘𝒐 " 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺  

𝐕𝐎𝐋. 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ━ 𝖄𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝕭𝗲𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗶𝗳𝘂𝗹 °. ୭̥❁.*
━━ ❪ 𝙷𝙰𝚁𝚁𝚈 𝙿𝙾𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁 ❫ . ˚ ⚘ ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

AS THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS PULLED OUT OF THE STATION NEXT MORNING, HERMIONE AND ALENA GAVE RON AND HARRY SOME SURPRISING NEWS.

"Went to see Professor McGonagall this morning, just before breakfast," Alena began. "I've decided to drop Ancient Runes. Hermione's dropped Muggle Studies."

"But you passed your exam with a three hundred and twenty percent!" Ron protested.

"I know." Hermione sighed. "but I can't stand another year like this one. That Time-Turner, it was driving me mad. We've handed them in."

"Without Ancient Runes and Divination, I'll have a normal schedule again," Alena finished.

"I still can't believe you didn't tell us about it," Ron pouted. "We're supposed to your friends."

"We promised we wouldn't tell anyone," Alena explained. She looked to Harry, who was watching Hogwarts disappear from view behind a mountain.

"Darling... you okay?" she asked, peering out of his window.

"Yeah," He answered quickly, smiling. "Just thinking about the holidays."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about them, too," Ron told him. "Harry, you and your parents have got to come stay with us. I'll fix it up with Mum and Dad, then I'll call you. I know how to use a fellytone now—"

"A telephone, Ron," Hermione corrected. "Honestly, you should take Muggle Studies next year..."

Ron ignored her.

"It's the Quidditch Cup this summer! How about it, Harry? You and your Mum and Dad can come and stay, and we'll go see it! Dad can usually get ticket from work!"

This proposal had the effect of cheering Harry up a great deal.

"Yeah, alright... but only if you come, Lena..."

The girl smiled, finding his proposition sweet. "I would love too."

Feeling more cheerful, Harry joined Alena, Ron, and Hermione in several games of Exploding Snap, and when the witch with the sweet trolley arrived, he bought a very large bunch, though nothing with chocolate in it.

But it was late in the afternoon before the thing that made him truly happy showed up...

"Ree, Darling," Alena spoke suddenly, lifting her head from his shoulder. "What's that outside your window?"

Harry looked outside. Something very small and grey was bobbing in and out of sight beyond the glass. He stood up for a better look and saw that it was a tiny owl, carrying a letter that was much too big for it. The owl was so small that it kept tumbling over in the air. Harry quickly pulled down the window, stretched out his arm and caught it. It felt like a very fluffy snitch. He brought it inside carefully. The owl dropped its letter onto Alena's lap and began zooming around their compartment, very pleased with itself for accomplishing its task.

Alena picked up the letter. It was addressed to her. She ripped it open and excitedly told her friends, "It's from my Dad!"

"What?" Harry, Ron, and Hermione exclaimed excitedly. "Read it aloud!"

Dear Lena,
I hope this finds you before you reach
Grimmuald Square. Unfortunately, I can't
come home right away as that'll be the first
place the Ministry'll look. Don't worry about
me, pup. Though I have some doubt about the
owls reliability, but he is the best I could find
and seemed eager for the job. There is something
else I forgot to tell you, it was me and James who
sent the broomsticks—

"Ha!" Hermione exclaimed. "See! I told you it was from him!"

"No, you said Sirius. Not James—" Ron started. "Ouch!"

The tiny owl, now hooting happily in his hand, had nibbled one of his fingers in what seemed to think was an affectionate way.

Crookshanks took the order to the owl
office for me. I used your name but told
them to take the gold from Gringotts
vault seven hundred and eleven—mine.
Consider it as thirteen birthdays' worth of
presents from me. I would also like to
apologize from lack of time. I know we
can't get those years back, but hopefully
we can gain them again. Don't forget, I
love you, with all the stars and the moon.
If you ever need me, I'm only one letter away.
Dad

P.S
i thought your friend Ron might like to keep
this owl, as it's my fault he no longer has a rat.

Ron's eyes widened. The small owl was still goofing excitedly.

"Keep him?" Ron asked uncertainly. He looked closely at the owl for a moment, then, to Alena, Harry, and Hermione's great surprise, he held him out for Crookshanks to sniff.

"What d'you reckon?" Ron asked the cat. "Definitely an owl?"

Crookshanks purred.

"Good enough for me," Ron answered happily. "He's mine."

Sirius' letter was clutched in her hand as she, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stepped back through the barrier of platform nine and three-quarters. Alena spotted her Mum and Aunt Lenna. They were chatting with James and Lily.

"I'll call you two about the World Cup!" Ron yelled after Harry and Alena, as the two, and Hermione bid him goodbye, then wheeled their trolleys and owl cages towards their parents.

"Look at that," James sighed. "Another year... gone. Goes by quick, huh?"

Alena and Harry looked to each other, smiling.

"You kids ready for summer?" Morgana asked them. "Lena, I have a trip to France planned for us. And of course, James, Lily, you guys are welcome to come."

"Oh, hell yeah—"

But James stopped mid-sentence due to Lily covering his mouth with her hand.

"James! There are children here!"

In a muffled voice he spoke, "Yes, my dear Lily-Flower."