25 - In Like-Like

♕𝙽𝚒𝚌𝚔♕

I messed up.

Big time.

How could I be so stupid? Why would I say that to her? Sure, I was tired but..holy shit.

I told her I wanted to kiss her.

I said that. Right to her face. I straight up just told her that I just wanted to kiss her. I watched her process my sentence. Her eyes got a little wider and she froze. She looked scared.

She hasn't asked me about it. It's been five days and she has yet to ask about it. She has yet to bring it up. I don't know if she forgot or maybe she just doesn't want to talk about it. Maybe she wants me to bring it up. She's probably waiting for me to say something.

She'll be waiting for a long time.

What else can I do? How can I fix this without bringing it up? Do I just wait for it to fix itself? Or can I—

"Mr. King."

I look over at the door to see Henry standing there, Maeve next to him. Maeve gives a slow wave.

Shit.

"Apparently, there are more issues with my car." Maeve grumbles as she walks in and sits down at the chair across from me. Henry waves goodbye at us then leaves the room, shutting the door behind him. "So, what are you doing?" Maeve asks, she rests her chin in the palm of her hand.

"Uh—Working." I answer quickly and awkwardly. I'm still trying to figure out if she's mad at me or not, can she just give me a second?

Maeve nods and leans forward slightly to look at my computer. I save us both the trouble and I turn the screen to her. "Seems boring." Maeve eventually says as she sits down properly.

"It is." I mumble as I turn the computer to me again. "I'm sorry." I blurt. She really is rubbing off on me.

Maeve looks confused which somehow makes me even more terrified than I already am. "For what?" She asks.

"For uh, what I said the other night?" I'm guessing here, I don't know if she's messing with me or if she doesn't remember.

Maeve smiles and waves me off. "It's fine. You were joking, right?" She asks. "I mean, your jokes are getting better, but you've gotta work on the delivery." She laughs.

She thinks I was joking.

Good.

"I'm working on it." I try to act casual. Maeve seems to buy it.

She laughs. "Not hard enough apparently." She smiles. "But I'll help you, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah." I dismiss. That's a normal response, right? That's what I would have said.

"Anyway, where's my baby?" Maeve asks as she looks around.

"My dad's office." My response surprises myself. I know he's in there, but I don't know why.

"Your dad's office?" Maeve smiles. I nod and gesture for her to follow me, which she does.

I lead her down the hall and to Dad's office, knocking on the door before opening it. "Dad." I say as I lead Maeve in. Malikai is sitting on Dad's lap and Dad is typing on his computer. They both seem content.

"Aww," Maeve smiles. Dad sets Malikai on the ground. Malikai immediately runs over to Maeve, extremely excited.

"Clam down. You're going to piss yourself." Dad cringes. Maeve laughs and picks Malikai up. She hasn't seen him in a few days now.