33 - Grandma

𖧷𝙼𝚊𝚎𝚟𝚎𖧷

"Leave me alone." Nick demands as I reach up and fix his hair.

"Nick, please. I'm begging. Please, please, please, try to be nice to my grandma today. She's a sweet woman, Nick. She hasn't done anything to you." I ramble a little.

"I know." Nick sighs. "I'll be nice."

"Promise?"

He rolls his eyes at me. "I promise. Now knock on the door." He orders. I let out a breath and knock on the door.

I'm getting deja vu here.

The door opens and Dad smiles at me. "Come in, honey." He says as he steps aside. Dad glances at Nick as he walks in behind me.

Dad hasn't seen Nick since I told him we were dating.

"Maevie?" Grandma calls. Dad leads us to the kitchen. Grandma looks over and smiles at us.

"Hi." I greet, walking over to hug her. "Um..Grandma, this is Nick. My boyfriend." I grab Nick's arm and pull him over. Dad's eyes narrow.

"Hi." Nick greets, awkwardly waving. I nudge him and he gives me a side glare.

Grandma laughs. "Hello, darling." She does a little wave.

It's a little more than a little funny, standing in this small kitchen with Dad, Grandma, and Nick. Grandma is smaller than I am. Apparently, when she was my age, she was the same height as me, but over the years, she's gone from five three, to five foot. And, we've established Nick is much taller than Dad. Nick is like a little out of place here.

"Why don't you all go wait in the living room while I get dinner finished?" Grandma suggests. I nod at her and take Nick's hand, leading him to the living room. Grandma stops us before we can make it and gestures for Nick to follow her. Nick looks unsure, but I nod at him and he follows her.

"Dad.." I begin as I sit next to him. Dad looks over at me. "I have a request."

"Oh? Let's here it." Dad chuckles.

"My request is.." I trial off for a second. "Stop glaring at my boyfriend."

Dad looks less amused.

"Please." I quickly add.

"Fine." Dad bitterly agrees.

Nick comes back with a little smile on his face. I eye him suspiciously and he stands in the doorway. He brings a half eaten chocolate chip cookie to his mouth. I gasp.

Grandma gave him early dessert!

"Hey!" I yell. Nick's smile gets a little bigger as he chews his cookie. I get up from the couch and go over to him, reaching for the stupid cookie.

"No. This is mine." Nick holds it far above his head.

"Why are your arms so freakishly long?!" I groan. This makes Nick laugh. He lowers his hand and hands me the more than half eaten cookie. "There's, like, less than one bite left." I scoff.

"You don't don't want it? Fine." Nick shrugs. He goes to take it from me but I pull it away. Nick smiles a little at me and walks around me to sit on the couch. He sits next to Dad, leaning back like he doesn't have a care in the world.

"My ex-wife hates you." Dad suddenly says.

Hm. Ex-wife.

"And I hate your ex-wife." Nick shrugs. "Look, now we have something in common."

Dad blinks. He starts to laugh. "Way to be an optimist." Nick nods at him and glances over at me, holding his hand out. I take it and he tugs me over to sit on his lap. "Too far." Dad immediately says.