44 - Awkward

♕𝙽𝚒𝚌𝚔♕

Maeve clings to my arm a little as we walk into the restaurant.

"Maeve," I call. She looks at me and I can immediately see the nervousness on her face. "It will be fine. Your dad said she's nice, right?"

Maeve slowly nods. "Yeah.."

"So?"

"But he says everyone is nice!" Maeve whines. "And he likes her! He's biased!"

"Okay, well, if she's rude then Olivia will fix it. She speaks up and she won't be afraid to call her out. You know that." I assure her. Maeve thinks before slowly nodding.

"Hi, table for two?" A woman asks us.

"No, we're actually here with a party. The name should be Roger?" Maeve tilts her head slightly. The woman nods and looks in her little book.

"Okay, if you'll just follow me. All of your party is here already." The girl informs as she leads us to the table.

"Oh. Great. We're late." Maeve mumbles. "It's your fault." She scowls.

"It takes two people to do what we did, Maeve." I remind. Maeve chooses to ignore me. Probably because she knows I'm right.

When we make it to the table, I can see Olivia and Lauren sitting together, next to Olivia is Roger. Next to Roger is a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes. Her hair is pulled up into some sort of half up half down type hairstyle.

"Okay, here you are." The woman who lead us here smiles. Maeve slowly sits down, pulling me over to sit closely next to her.

"Maevie." Roger smiles. Maeve does a tiny wave. "Amy, this is my daughter, Maeve." Roger gestures from the woman next to him to Maeve.

"Hi, Maeve! It's so great to meet you! I've heard so much about you." The woman—Amy—gushes.

Maeve does a little bit of an awkward laugh. "Hi." She quietly greets. I glance at Olivia, she doesn't look very happy, but it looks like she's trying to be quiet about it.

"Oh, and who's this?" Amy looks over at me then back at Maeve.

"Oh, um, this is my fiancé, Nick." Maeve introduces me, resting her hand on my arm. I rest my hand on her thigh under the table.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Nick." Amy smiles at me. She doesn't really look that much older than Maeve.

"Can I get you any drinks?" A woman asks Maeve and I. Everyone else got theirs already.

Maeve and I order our own drinks and I can already see Olivia getting ready to speak up. "So, Amy." Olivia begins. "Where did you guys meet again?"

"A bar." Amy simply answers. Roger shifts slightly uncomfortably in his seat.

I don't think I want to hear the story of how they met.

"Oh? And how'd you meet there?" Olivia questions.

"I'm going to use the restroom." Maeve announces before anyone can answer her. She's quick to get up and leave the table.

"I just don't want to be here." I say as I get up from the table to follow after her.

It's true and Maeve said people appreciate it when you're honest with them.

"Maeve," I call. Maeve stops in the hallway leading to the bathroom and looks at me.

"I need a break." Maeve shakes her head. "She looks the same age as me, Nick!" She whines. "And I think I know how they met." She cringes.

"Let's just leave." I suggest. "We should just go and have our own date night." I go on. I reach out to put my hands on her waist, pulling her to me. "Or, we could go home and finish what we started earlier." I murmur, pressing a kiss just below her ear.