40 - Aftermath

𖧷𝙼𝚊𝚎𝚟𝚎𖧷

I wake up in a room that isn't mine.

It's Nate's guest room. I almost forgot I slept here last night.

I can smell food so I'm quick to get up and go to the connecting bathroom. Nate gave me a toothbrush last night so I brush my teeth before heading for the kitchen.

I ended up sleeping in my dress from yesterday. Nate offered me some of his clothes but it didn't feel right to wear them..

"Morning, Princess." Nate smiles at me and flips a pancake. "Sleep well?"

"Not really." I answer honestly. Nate frowns at me.

"So, you're going back home today, right? You're going to make up with Nicolas?" Nate smiles hopefully.

"Maybe." I mumble.

"Maybe?" Nate quietly repeats.

"Nick and I said some things to each other that we shouldn't have said." I sigh. "We hurt each other."

"You're not ready to talk?" I slowly shake my head. Nate gives me a little smile. "Okay." He says. "Are you hungry?"

"Um..not yet."

Nate smiles. "Aw, come on, Princess. My pancakes aren't that bad."

I laugh. "I'm sure they're not, I'm just not hungry."

Nate shrugs and flips a pancake on a plate. "Suit yourself." He hums as he drowns his pancakes in syrup. "You sleep in that?" Nate gestures to me. I look down at Nick's sweatshirt I'm wearing.

I missed him.

"Yeah." I sigh as I hug myself.

Nate gives me a little smile. "He's worried about you, you know." He starts to cut his pancakes. "Texted me all night."

I smile a little. "He did?"

Nate nods. "Oh, yeah. As soon as he found out you were staying with me."

"You told him?"

"Of course. I'm sorry, Maeve, but he is my brother. I had to let him know you were fine." Nate frowns at me. I slowly nod. Nick didn't text me much last night. After he sent that last text that was it.

"Did you tell him I was okay?"

"Yeah. I told him you're so loyal to him that you refused to borrow pajamas." Nate smiles at me. "He's afraid, you know."

I frown. "Why?"

"His fiancé cheated on him with his best friend, Maeve. I make fun of him for it, but that's, like, a serious thing." Nate shovels a piece of his pancake in his mouth, I sit down on the stool at the island. "He's afraid that dinner wasn't the only thing we were doing."

"So, what? He thinks I cheated on him?" I scoff. Nate doesn't answer me for a second.

"He's afraid the same thing is going to happen again. His fiancé is going to cheat on him." Nate looks down at his plate.

"I'm not his fiancé." I mumble. Nate blinks and gestures to my hand. "Promise ring." I spin the ring around a little.

"He told me to tell you he loves you when you wake up, by the way."

I laugh a little. "Of course he did."

"He told me to say a bunch of other things too. He's sorry and shit, blah, blah blah." Nate rolls his eyes.

"He can tell me that himself." I decide.

"Well, he can't do that if you don't give him a chance to."