Chapter 14: Allegiance

*****

"Percy—" Alex suddenly stopped. The Elites run towards her thinking that something bad happened to her.

"Alex are you oka—" Pierce stopped what he was going to say when he saw whats happening. The huntresses run towards them.

"Is something wro—" Atalanta cut off mid-sentence when the Elites raised their hands, signaling her to shut up. The hunters followed where the Elites staring at. The hunters' gaped while the others were confused.

"What's happening?" Liane whispered to Thalia while looking at the two patrons' of the two groups. 

Everyone felt the tension between the two immortals as they're having a staring contest while casting a quick glance at their cards. Both of them have only two cards left in their hands. The three monkeys between the two were looking at Percy and Artemis back and forth.

"They having a standoff," Thalia replied quietly not wanting to break the tension.

"Huh?" Phoebe asked quietly.

"You'll see," the daughter of Zeus said. The hunters nodded.

It's been a minute now when Artemis blinked then Percy lower his card quickly as he said  "Uno!" followed by Artemis a millisecond late. Artemis gritted her teeth.

'Urghhh! I want to wipe out that smug on his face!' Artemis thought. But when she gazed at the no.6 red card she mentally smirked. 'What a lucky day we have.'

Artemis didn't have a second thought and she lowered her card fast and said "Uno!" that Percy also said afterward. Nevertheless, Percy still smirked and was about to bring down his card when Artemis brought down hers. 

"Hey! That's not how you play the game!" Percy yelled, Artemis smirked, then she pointed to her card. Percy lowered his gaze and gaped when he saw that the card she lowered before the last was a 'Reverse Card'.

"Where're my drachmas?" Artemis asked smirking, Percy slumped his shoulders then handed out a bag of drachmas. The monkeys laugh at Percy. Artemis gave each of the monkeys a high five.

"Ahem!" Matilda cleared her throat to get the two attention. Percy and Artemis turned their heads.

"Oh! Is the fight over?" Percy asked. Everyone nodded, but the hunters becomes gloomy. Their heads bow down at their sisters who turned into stones. But the thing that surprises them is that Artemis and Thalia didn't look gloomy at all.

"Milady?" Atalanta called, the moon goddess looked at her. "Haven't you feeling anything at the loss of our sisters?" Atalanta asked with a hint of anger and disappointment.

"They are still alive. They're just turned... into stones," Artemis said. The hunters looked at their mistress confusedly. They were about to ask what she meant when Percy spoke.

"Where's Echidna?" Percy asked his Elites. Nathan, Pierce, and Blaze tossed the unconscious monster in front of him. Then vines erupted from the ground, lifting Echidna and binding her.

"Woi, Echidna, wake up," Percy pokes Echidna but no response. Percy sighed then he sends a pulse of his powers through the vines making the mother of all monsters jolted awake. Echidna struggled against her bindings.

"Perseus," Echidna growled still struggling.

"Don't bother, my friend, those vines are as strong as celestial bronze," Percy said while walking back and forth in front of her. Echidna grunted in pain when the vines tighten around her body.