Chapter 2: Allyson

I wake up to the sound of metal grating against metal. The loud slam that follows it vibrates through the springs of my mattress, bringing a strange awareness that I normally do not have when I first wake up.

Something is wrong. I can sense it.

Turning my head so that I am looking over in my cell mate's direction, I spot the individual causing the noise. Executioner Jacobsen stands between our beds, looking me over with his black eyes. There's a familiar amusement in his eyes while he looks me over. He wants me to know exactly what he's about to do so that I understand how powerless I am.

I'm certain President Hansen even ordered him to do it directly in front of me like the bastard he is.

He ordered it for the wrong day, though. It's not Lydia's time yet. She should have a few more months to discover her ability.

Perhaps the president no longer cares. He's convinced he can get what he wants out of me if he applies enough pressure. The perfect toy. The perfect weapon.

The perfect daughter.

My father no longer cares if he has to break the rules to get what he wants. He never truly has. If killing a few kids before their time means that I discover my ability faster, then he will most certainly do it. That's why I'm in this Encouragement Camp in the first place.

I stumble out of bed in a more coordinated manner than last night. Within a few seconds, I am covering Lydia's body with my own. There are tears in my eyes that blur my vision, so I cannot fully see the sneer on Bill's pale face.

"You can't take her yet," I claim in a shaky voice. There's no confidence in my tone, which means I am already deemed as unworthy to listen to. "It's not her time."

Lydia places a gentle handle onto my shoulder. It carries a weight that could crush the entire world. "Al..."

The sad tone she carries in her tone shatters my heart into a million pieces. She never meant to keep her promise to me. She was going to die without telling me. The only way I would have found out was after school today when I found a five-year-old sitting on her mattress.

Denial takes root in my mind, trying to find ways around this situation. There has to be a way to save her. "You can't kill her without her parents permission."

"Allyson." Harshness enters her tone, immediately killing all the fight in me. "It's my time."

There are so many things that I would have done differently yesterday, had I known that it was her last. I would have spent the entire day with her to help her discover her ability. I would have brought her so many gifts and made her art.

Lydia pushes back a strand of my blonde hair so that she can fully see my face. There's remorse in her eyes while she holds my gaze. "Thank you for being my best friend," she states. "I love you."

This has to be some sort of nightmare. I just need to wake up and find Lydia in her bed and away from Executioner Jacobsen. It's all just a bad dream.

Cold metal touches my collarbone while Lydia puts the necklace she got from her grandmother around my neck. Grandma Dyrn made her promise to never take it off for the rest of her life. Her grandmother was the only one who visited her once she was placed in this Encouragement Camp, so Lydia has always insisted on listening to the woman.

Having it now being put around my neck makes this too real. I'm about to lose my best friend.

As soon as she fastens the necklace around my neck, I am shoved to the side. Executioner Jacobsen grabs Lydia by the throat, withdrawing his machete. He likely has orders from the President to kill her in front of me.