Chapter 27: Allyson

This is the first birthday I have celebrated with my family since I turned five, and my mother seems more excited about it than Cameron and I.

Despite being born on two separate days, our parents are insistent that Cameron and I celebrate our birthday together in one big extravagant party in our mansion with people from all over invited.

If it were really up to me and Cameron, we would have stayed inside our rooms all day.

Since the Norton Prep Attack, my twin brother hasn't been the same. He has stopped interacting with everyone except me and spends most days trapped in his bedroom. Our father has given up pretending to be understanding of the trauma that Cameron went through and pushes for him to just "get over it".

As if potentially being the cause of death for the love of your life is something that you just get over.

Someone softly knocks on my door as I begin the process of weaving in my gold threaded earring into the six holes of my left ear. Without breaking eye contact with the mirror, I use my ability to swing the door open.

Prince Caspian stands in the doorway with his hands casually shoved in the pockets of his black dress pants. His gaze fixates on me, watching as I finish looping the earring in. "You look absolutely stunning, Ms. Hansen."

A smile pulls at my lips as I move on to my other ear, replicating the loops that I made in my left ear. "Thank you, my darling prince," I respond. I make quick work of putting the earring in, ensuring that both of the earring actually go with my dress.

The gold dress that Prince Caspian had gifted me for my birthday is absolutely stunning. It is a halter top dress with a cinched waist that stops at my mid-thigh. Sequins cover every inch of the dress, ensuring that it will catch the light and sparkle. Seven loose gold chains hang around the shoulders, connecting the halter on both the front and the back. Each of the chains are separated by a small gap of space spanning from a quarter away from my shoulder to just above my elbow.

I have no idea where the prince found the dress, but I am certainly glad that he did.

My eyes narrow in on the prince's appearance, discovering that his black suit coat is covered in gold accents of flowers and leaves on the shoulders, around the edges of his sleeves, and on the button side of the coat. He's even traded out his silver rings for gold ones, committed to matching with me at the event.

He never told me that we were going to match. I should have assumed as much when he had gifted me the dress yesterday morning, knowing full well that my birthday is actually today. So far, every public appearance we have made has been carefully planned and orchestrated by me.

This is an exciting surprise to see.

Coaxing a brow, I turn around and face the prince. My hand falls to the necklace around my throat, fiddling with the diamond. "I like your suit," I comment.

A smile grows across his face. He dips his head for a slight nod. "Thank you." He stares at me for a moment before pulling an item out of his pocket. "I have something for you."

I study the small, black box in his hand. Though I am no expert when it comes to jewelry, I do know the type of jewelry that comes in boxes that size. "You already gave me a present," I point out.

"What can I say? I like giving gifts," Caspian responds. His sea green eyes glint with amusement.

The prince approaches me, holding out the small box. I nervously tuck a strand behind my ear before accepting it. His hand lingers outstretched for a moment, giving me time to study the rings on his fingers.