Chapter 6: Eric

Someone tentatively knocks on my door. The hesitation makes the sound soft. If I weren't already awake, I would not have been able to hear it.

"Eric," my aunt's soft voice vibrates through the door. "Are you awake?"

If I were to pretend like I'm still asleep, I doubt that she would bother trying to wake me up. She's stuck in between trying to be a good guardian and trying to not anger me.

"Yes," I call back. "I'm almost ready."

Moving away from Consahdance into Linae is probably the worst decision I have ever made in my life. Out of all of the countries I could have chosen, I managed to pick the one that discriminates against people like me.

It's no better than my own country, whose tyrant king produced an heir that is rumored to be much worse than everyone in this country. If any of the rumors are to be believed, the missing Prince Conlaed is a monster who wants to see all Catipilis dead.

Glaring into the reflection of my mirror hanging on my door, I grab my bag from the floor next to my desk. I don't know why I bother keeping a mirror, I always hate what I see in the reflection.

A coward with fiery colored eyes stares back at me. Over the years I have lived here, I've watched my skin become a lighter brown and my cheeks become more sallow. My black hair used to be full of healthy curls. Now, it's dull and completely lifeless.

I can hear someone moving around downstairs, signifying that my uncle is about to leave for work. If I don't move downstairs now, I'll have to walk to school. I find my uncle's standing right next to the door, dressed in his nicest suit when I walk down the stairs. In his right hand is his briefcase full of paperwork for his job.

He studies me for a moment, probably silently judging my outfit. I don't dress my wealth. If I did, I would be wearing finer material than my uncle. Instead, I choose to wear more common clothes to stand out less.

Wordlessly opening the door, my uncle chooses to adjust his lapels. He acts as though my casual outfit will somehow rub off onto his.

The ride to school is completely silent, like it is most days. There's nothing that my uncle needs to say to me. All he would say to me is to keep my anger in check and try to make some friends.

I'd rather be alone than make friends at Norton Prep. There are too many arrogant people there, considering that it's the school for the richest of the rich. Norton Prep is a school where the children of the most powerful families attend. Even all five of the most powerful families in Linae send all their kids to this school.

It's one of the main reasons why I refuse to make any friends there— too many entitled, snobby brats.

"I put in a good word to the principal to add a music class for you," my uncle says calmly from the driver's seat.

I have been wishing for a music department since I moved here. Norton Prep is a school that produces politicians and celebrity figures— not musicians. So, the school has been lacking in the arts departments.

Why my uncle chose now to make a suggestion, I do not know. Sometimes, he still finds ways to surprise me.

"What did they say?" I ask him. From the outside of the vehicle, I can see trees blur pass in lines of green. Artificial trees, of course, so that the upper class can have beautiful green leaves year round. They also don't have to worry about putting in the effort of raking leaves when they turn brown between seasons.

He glances at me for only a brief moment, flashing his sea colored eyes directly at me. Those are a similar shade of what my mother had before she died. Sometimes, I find it hard to look at him without seeing my mom since they have similar features. The same dark skin. The same round faces.