Chapter 19: Allyson

I haven't been to the beach in a very long time.

When I was stuck in the Encouragement Camp, my father would take me out every Sunday to show me all sorts of places. Most of the time, he would only let me go out in very late hours of the night to maintain discretion.

The one and only time he took me to the beach, however, still stands out to be my favorite.

It was before the years of presidency made him lose his kindness. That day, he actually acted like a father. He took me to a playground and pushed me on a swing. He caught me when I slid down the slide. He ran around and played tag with me. At the end of the day, he sat me down at a private beach that he secured with a perimeter of guards and we watched the sunset.

When Prince Caspian had asked me on a date, I wanted to tell him no. This desire came mostly from my desire to show my dad that I am not a pawn that does as he pleases. My willpower to reject him died the moment he mentioned watching the sunset at the beach.

I'm not sure how he learned that beach sunsets were my weakness. Perhaps one of my family members told him or he saw the news report from a month or so ago. Either way, the prince does his research.

I grab a fistful of sand, allowing the small grains to slip through my fingers. It feels the exact same as I remember it. Still slightly warm from the sun that is slowly slipping down the horizon and annoyingly sticky.

"Thank you for joining me," Prince Caspian states. He is standing several paces in front of me with his eyes glued to the water that is endlessly stretching. "I haven't had a moment to enjoy the ocean since I left Consahdance a few months ago to travel."

My eyes slip past the prince toward the guards pacing several yards away. "I just wish we were able to have a moment together without our countries' respective lap dogs following our every move," I respond.

I partially understand the need for the guards. Prince Caspian is a foreign prince in a country that is not his own. Being out in the open like this is a risk since there could be assassins anywhere. I am the daughter of the president who nearly got killed only a month or so ago.

The two of us combined, though, would be able to hold off any attacker. Especially since we are in the prince's domain.

Turning his head to look at his guards, the prince inclines his head back toward the parking lot. The three men obey without a word or a look of protest, immediately retreating from the sand. My guards follow the men, taking the hint from the prince.

A charming grin grows across the prince's face while he looks toward me. He lowers his lashes at me, his green eyes almost looking predatory. "Now we're alone, just like you asked."

Heat rushes to my cheeks which I try to cover with my hair. "That's not what I meant," I argue. My voice does not sound convincing to me, though, so I doubt that it sounds any better to Caspian.

Chuckling, the prince comes to sit beside me. "Then what did you mean, Ms. Hansen? I'm curious."

I force myself to look at his face, willing for the redness to go away. My brain searches for words that can help me recover. "What if I wanted to kill you?" I find myself asking. "You just gave me the prime opportunity to do so."

Amusement shines through his eyes while he studies me. "You wouldn't," he challenges. His eyes travel down my entire body before looking back at me. "Besides, I think I could easily take you. I do have my dagger."

My gaze moves to the waistband of his dark pants, where I'm certain his dagger is hidden. I can see the outline of it tucked under his flowy, white shirt. "I thought it was a ceremonial dagger." A smirk grows across my face. "'I'd hardly call that a weapon'."