Chapter 9: Eric

The grass glistens in the sunlight, still clinging on to its last small bit of dew from this morning. Flowers blossom from the earth, arranged by color and shades. The sight is pleasing to the eye, the gradient starting with white flowers and slowly shifting to the darker end of the spectrum. In the center of it all, a gray fountain sprays clear water.

Allyson's blue eyes light up at the sight of the park, a smile growing across her face. "It's beautiful," she murmurs quietly before wandering towards the fountain.

I silently wonder what draws her to the fountain first rather than the flowers. Most people would be drawn to the floral scheme rather than the architecture. Allyson, on the other hand, seems drawn to the center piece. As if she doesn't have a fountain sitting outside of her own home.

"This place is remarkable," Jared says from behind me. He tentatively begins to walk towards the flowers on our left. A cool breeze ruffles up his hair while his face lights up. "It's all real flowers."

It's surprising that they would implement real flowers when the cold is starting to spike up. It's only a few more months until the harsh winter, and these flowers aren't going to last. No matter how hard those with nature powers try.

"Did you expect them to be fake?" Allyson asks curiously. Her pale cheeks are a bit rosy from the slight cold, which indicates that she isn't quite used to it. She must have lived somewhere warmer than here, then.

Jared looks thoughtful while he squats next to a stray flower bud. He reaches his hand toward it, smiling when it leans toward his touch. "For the most part."

Allyson watches in amazement, a grin growing across her face. "That flower seems to like you," she jokes.

As soon as Jared's fingertips brush against the bud, it slowly peels its white petals open. It's the purest white I have ever seen in my life. I didn't know it was possible to make white look any paler.

Carefully tugging the flower from the ground, Jared turns to face Allyson. He shoves his glass back so they are on the bridge of his nose while giving the girl a sheepish smile. "Milady," he states while presenting her with the flower.

Surprise flickers across her features for a moment before she recovers with a smile. A new light dances in her eyes while she accepts the flower from Jared. "Thank you, kind sir," she responds in a light hearted tone.

Slowly trailing after the pair, I find myself staring at the park in wonder. It's rather large for a place that no one is going to come to. It used to be a random patch of trees that stood out in comparison to all of the neighborhoods surrounding it.

She tucks the flower into her hair by the intricate design. The stem of the flower disappears within her wavy blonde hair. It's surprising just how much the flower fits with her outfit— as if she was meant to be wearing this flower the whole time.

A stray breeze blows toward our faces, stinging my eyes while we continue to wander towards the gray fountain. I blink away the tears that form in response to the wind.

The fountain's water ripples as we approach. Underneath the water's surface— etched into the bottom of the fountain— the republic's insignia lays. It's diamond shaped with five different smaller diamonds divided into it. Each section represents one of Linae's founding families.

On the leftmost diamond is a lion, which represents the Dyrns. Being the oldest family in Linae, their legacy has lasted for generations. The Dyrns have always contained the power of strength. The ability may not be limited to their family, but their family is the strongest of those with superhuman strength.