Chapter 29: Cameron

This party isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

People are lively and excited. Happy, even. There is no talk about the incident. No talk of tragedy. Just happiness and music.

Dave and Ryat did not ask questions about my absence or bug me about ditching them for months. Instead, they clapped me on the back and wished me a happy birthday. We talked as if we never stopped doing so.

Misery, it seems, decided to take a vacation so that I can have a great birthday.

"Maybe we should throw a big bash for my birthday," Ryat says. He eyes a group of girls that walks past us, a smile growing across his face. "I'm thinking more of a swimsuit party, though."

Beside me, Dave rolls his eyes. "That would be a great idea, Ryat, if there wasn't always ten feet of snow on the ground on your birthday." My best friend frowns while a smug grin grows across Dave's lips. "My birthday, on the other hand—"

Ryat howls with laughter while I smack Dave in the chest with the back of my hand. "Shut up," I joke. My eyes roam the crowd in search of Lydia, wondering if she'll ever show up. "You're both supposed to be enjoying my birthday, right now. Not planning out how to see every girl who can tolerate being around you in basically nothing."

Slinging his arms around my and Dave's shoulders, Ryat pulls the three of us close. "Cam's right. We're at a party, already surrounded by hot chicks. We should be focused on having fun right now."

Unable to stop the smile from growing across my face, I shake my head. I wasn't aware how much I missed my friends until now. Somehow, these idiots always know how to put a smile onto my face.

Allyson approaches the three of us, a smile appearing on her face. "Boys," she greets.

"There's the birthday princess," Ryat responds. He pushes me aside, getting closer to my sister. His green eyes scan the surrounding area, obviously searching for Prince Caspian. "Did you finally decide to ditch the prince?"

After all this time, Ryat still hasn't given up on pursuing my twin. Though Allyson has gotten used to his behavior and he has never crossed the line, I don't understand how Allyson can put up with it. It disturbs me how hard he is trying to get in her good graces.

Playfully rolling her eyes, Allyson shakes her head. "You would like that, wouldn't you?" She crosses her arms. "And no, he's just getting us a couple of drinks."

A pout appears on my friend's face. He runs a hand through his long, brown hair. "Do me a favor: call me when you decide that foreign royalty isn't what you're looking for."

Laughing, Allyson studies the boy carefully. "I'll think about it."

She brings her gaze to me, her eyes offering a steady reassurance. I know that she came over here because she is worried about me. Only an hour ago, I was dreading about facing my friends.

Allyson is currently giving me an excuse if I need it.

Ryat pats down his navy suit, finding what he's looking for in the interior pocket. "I got you a present," he claims. He effectively regains her attention while pulling out a rectangular black box.

Gingerly taking the box from his hand, Allyson stares at the boy in front of her. "You are aware that there's a present table, right?"

The silver earring dangling from Ryat's left ear glints in the artificial lighting. "I wanted to deliver it myself."

"You didn't hand deliver me a present," I grumble from beside him. He smacks my arm hard to shut me up. Dave snickers from his left, shaking his head.

Allyson opens the box. She holds it in a way that I cannot see what's inside, but my best guess is a bracelet or something like it. Her eyes glow with content while she stares at the gift. "It's perfect."