Chapter 31: Allyson

I want to be as far away from here as possible.

One of my best friends has been lying to me for months, almost an entire year even. It makes my head hurt and my heart break in two all at the same time. I feel like I'm going to explode.

"Ms. Hansen," Caspian calls after me.

He's another person I really do not wish to talk to at the moment. He knew the truth that was being kept from me the moment he laid eyes on Eric— Conlaed. He just waited until now to expose Eric for his own gain.

"Leave me alone," I order. I keep my eyes on the tree line. I need space. I need to clear my head.

The prince walks around me so that he is standing right in front of me. "You're upset, understandably so—"

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask. If he wants to have a conversation without giving me time to breathe, then so be it. I asked for him to go and he chose to stay.

His sea green eyes study me carefully. "It wasn't my story to tell," he responds. Caspian's gaze moves toward the direction we just came from. His fingers pick at his sleeve, searching for any frayed edges. "I wanted to give my brother a chance to come forward and tell you the truth."

My eyes sting from the tears that I'm holding back. I cannot cry since I will eventually have to return to the party. Some of the reporters will be able to pick up on the redness or the puffiness or maybe even the remnants of my tears.

Squeezing my eyes close, I take a deep breath in. While his excuse is understandable, I cannot help but still feel angry at him. The source of this anger is unknown to me, but I can't ignore it all the same.

I need someone to talk to. Someone who will listen to me. I need Celeste. I need Jared. I need Cameron.

I need Lydia.

Guilt spears through my heart. I haven't thought about her once all night. The fun liveliness of the party had clouded all thoughts of my best friend and how this is the first birthday I am spending without her.

Prince Caspian must see the devastated look on my face because he dares a single step closer to me. "What is it?"

Words disappear from my mind as I edge closer to the woods. It's all too much for me right now. All the feelings that are circulating through me are far too overwhelming. I don't want to feel anything anymore.

I know that won't be possible the moment I see the person kneeling over a body. Trying to swallow back my tears, I push forward. Caspian remains silent by my side.

"Are you alright?" I ask. I try to keep my voice steady as I approach the pair.

Neither one of the pair moves, remaining in their exact positions. The prince gently takes my arm, revealing his uneasiness. "Maybe we should call the guards," he suggests. His voice is barely above a whisper.

His hand falls away when I shake him off. "The two of us are all we need for protection," I point out to him. I dare take a step closer to the two strangers, praying that I haven't stumbled across a murder.

My heart completely shatters when I see the face of the person on the ground. It's the face of the person who used to sing me to sleep. Who would console me every time I had a nightmare. Who would ask me about my school day and talk about our futures knowing that she didn't have one.

It's the person who I've worked so hard to change this world for.

A sob breaks through my lips as I rush to the same side as the person kneeling in front of her. "Lydia," I cry. She looks at me with unfocused eyes, unable to fully see me.