Chapter 30: Eric

This crowd is overwhelming. It feels as though everyone in the country somehow packed their way into the ballroom, which is impossible since this party is invite only and is almost exclusively Wolfani.

It's difficult to find Allyson in the crowd of people, despite the fact that she is dressed as the walking and talking version of the sun. She radiates light throughout the room, creating a small little beacon.

I haven't had the opportunity to talk with her yet since Caspian follows after her wherever she goes. I can't confront her within this crowd of people, either. There's a risk that someone will try to eavesdrop and hear the horrible things I have to say about Prince Caspian.

Waiting around for the right moment isn't going to create one, however. I've been waiting for over an hour. At this point, I'm just delaying the inevitable.

My feet move in the pair's direction, my lungs filling with air. I can do this. All I need to do is ask for an audience with Allyson.

As soon as I am within a few feet from them, Caspian spots me. His gaze hardens, eyes shifting to the shade of choppy waters. Tension fills him while his smile slowly falls.

Sensing a change in his mood, Allyson turns around to face me. Her blue eyes light up with happiness when she sees me. The gold on her eyelids somehow make them appear a lot more vivid, which truly isn't necessary. "Eric!" She exclaims. "I'm so glad you could make it."

It takes most of my focus to force a smile on my face and ignore Caspian's presence. "It's your birthday. I wouldn't miss it for the world." The statement is true, even if I have been a horrible friend as of late. My eyes dart between her and the prince before spanning to the crowd around us. "Can I talk with you outside for a minute?"

Instantly, Allyson nods her head. "I'll be right back, Your Highness," she tells the boy.

Caspian looks like he wants to object, but thinks better of it. Instead, he watches as the two of us slip through the crowd and make it outside.

As soon as the door closes behind us, Allyson quirks an eyebrow. "What's this about?"

I hadn't thought past this part of my plan quite yet. All night, I had been focused on separating her from the prince. A large part of me didn't think getting her out here would be so easy. That she would've just outright rejected me because of my behavior lately.

My gaze moves back to the building, feeling way too close to the eavesdroppers. "This way," I say. I lead her toward the back of the building, further away from the entrance. As soon as we are at a safe distance, I take a deep breath in. "It's about Caspian."

Allyson stiffens. Immediately her eyes narrow and her entire demeanor changes. The relaxed happiness she had before is gone. "What about Prince Caspian?" She asks in a tone full of warning.

"He's not what you think." I risk taking a step closer to her, trying to get her to hear my case. "He's not as good as you think."

I have known the boy for the majority of his life. Three years ago, he was quiet, innocent, and shy. He knew how to make people smile and laugh. Yesterday, he was something entirely different.

Based on the way her gaze hardens and she crosses her arms, I can tell that she does not believe me. "How would you know this? You still have yet to explain to me about what the hatred you have for the prince stems from."

This is my time to tell her the truth. To tell her everything I know. When I open my mouth to explain, however, no words come out. The child inside of me refuses to destroy everything I have worked toward. To deny myself the pleasure of freedom.