Fishing Cabin

Then, when we had about two days left to finish the roof, our master appeared.

When Odron found us working on the roof, he was not pleased: "You do not have to do farm work, I told you! I want you to train and work out!"

I was exhausted and out of breath, so it was Nethis who responded first: "Master Odron, the food ratios we get are small. We decided to work in order to get more food. Besides, it is also a kind of work out."

"What do you mean? I pay for the food, so I can expect, that you get the same as the other slaves."

I also felt like contributing something now: "We actually do, but the other slaves, really get little. It is not sufficient, if we want to do heavy work out and training to build up muscle and endurance."

Odron made a perplexed face: "Oh! You mean, you don't get enough calories?"

"Yes, not enough carbs, not enough nutrition and not enough proteins", I answered.

"Darn, feeding you guys seems to be more complicated than I anticipated."

Sounded like he thought, we fed like animals, galumph out onto one of the surrounding meadows and graze. Well, I neither had two hearts like a Klingon, nor did I have four stomachs like a cow. Should I feel hurt? My Vulcan side demanded to swallow it and refer to logic. I already did have some ideas, which I expressed now: "I know how to grow vegetables. I could set up a vegetable garden and a greenhouse if you care."

Odron looked at me in curiosity: "What would you need for it?"

"Seeds foremost, then some small pots and a sack of plant soil would be the minimum. A couple of berry bushes and building material for a green house, would obviously make things perfect. It will take about half a year though, until we can start harvesting."

"Good idea, let's talk to the farmer", Odron commanded.

After about an hour of debate, the farmer was ready to lend us a suitable little plot with fertile soil. Odron took me into a nearby town, where we got everything I wanted in a hardware store and I started with my herb and vegetable garden.

The shed was finished the oncoming week and I had to fix my little cabin now. Obviously it was not mine, but it felt good to regard it that way. Three nights in a row, while all others were sleeping, I dragged building materials out to the edge of the forest and hid them there. Then during the day, I hauled them through the forest to the lake, which was actually quite exhausting. With my newly gained carpentry skills and the tools, I kind a had secretly borrowed, I began fixing the cabin. For four entire days I worked on it from morning till evening. In the morning of the fifth day, I saw a plank to size on the ground, lifted it up and out of the corner of my eye saw something large standing right behind me. I never guessed, someone to come out here, it was far off any track or road. In shook I turned around and cried: "Nethis, you scared the hell out of me! What are you doing here?"

"I should rather ask, what are you doing here? And I should ask, where did all these new planks and the tools come from?"

That indeed was a difficult and tricky question to answer. My Vulcan mind, demanded me tell the truth, but my Klingon Mutant rather wanted to find some excuse. So I tried to find a suitable, yet true answer to the question, but I failed. A logic Vulcan mind, cannot lie. The Klingon side of my mind came up with something lame however: "The farmer let me have it, when I would fix his fishing cabin!"

"Well if that is so, then I guess you are happy when I propose fixing the landing stage to him as well?"

Shite, he got me right there. Lies don't travel far. "Ähm", was all I got out.